BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
I didnt even realise they changed to whipple and that whipple made their own supercharger (I always thought Whipple was a business partner in lysholm, maybe they left when lysholm was bought by vortex)
I just saw the slightly different casing (different oil fill plug etc) and thought lysholm changed their design.
On the compressor inlet elbow I see 2 sets of screw holes. Thats new.

I cant find a compressor of the whopple w100ax (I presume its that one, it has the same displacement/rev as the lysholm ESS used), so without being able to compare those, no telling which one is better (if if there's even a difference)
Lysholm wins on available documentation on the net :D
My guess is that they'll be more alike than different (I suspect even a virtually 1:1 copy inside)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Whipple have been out on their own for a few years now and have updated their own design over the older Lysholm. Both are good screw type compressors however. My only concern is that there is no provision for intercooling. But at around 6psi and street type duty, that is not likely to be a problem.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Whipple have been out on their own for a few years now and have updated their own design over the older Lysholm. Both are good screw type compressors however. My only concern is that there is no provision for intercooling. But at around 6psi and street type duty, that is not likely to be a problem.
Hi, do you mean specifically my kit?
I thought that with the TS1 it was blowing at 7 psi.
Where I live the temperature is never higher than 25 ..... but we'll see how it goes.
How look the veterans inject water / methanol instead of the laminova system?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I didnt even realise they changed to whipple and that whipple made their own supercharger (I always thought Whipple was a business partner in lysholm, maybe they left when lysholm was bought by vortex)
Lysholm wins on available documentation on the net :D
My guess is that they'll be more alike than different (I suspect even a virtually 1:1 copy inside)

Maybe I'm wrong, nobody told me officially, I read it here in the forum.

The last thing you say is 100% true, after years of blowing BMW it's clear that the LYSHOLM are very good :pulgares hacia arriba:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi, do you mean specifically my kit?
I thought that with the TS1 it was blowing at 7 psi.
Where I live the temperature is never higher than 25 ..... but we'll see how it goes.
As you can see the veterans inject water / methanol instead of the laminova system.
I take it you are using Google Translate.

What I meant is that at around 6psi and a street car, intercooling is not absolutely essential. If your TS1 kit delivers 7psi, that would also be OK.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ok
Yes yes, I use Google to help me because I am bad with english :bache:
But It os not enouhgt help to feel of the languaje
Furthermore the last sentence It was bad writed, because I wanted made a question.
Thank you for the patience!!

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
Lysholm- Whipple differences:

Anodised screws- Teflon coated screws
Front and rear bearings between the two, Lysholm rpm 13,000 continuous, 15,000rpm max. Whipple 18,000 continuous, 20,000rpm max.
Casing seems to be reinforced/bulked somewhat more where the needle rollers were on the Lysholm, these have been replaced with rollers on the Whipple.

These are just basic differences I have found from what info is available. Most of the increased efficiency seems to be in the above changes.

·
Registered
168 Posts
For normal street application, you will not notice a difference between Lysholm and Whipple. Both are very good.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ok
I already have installed the supercharguer.
I had some problems and I needed more time for finish.
But at the ende all it is ok, however one thing:
How demons is posible to reinstall the DMA's shield?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Lysholm- Whipple differences:

Anodised screws- Teflon coated screws
Front and rear bearings between the two, Lysholm rpm 13,000 continuous, 15,000rpm max. Whipple 18,000 continuous, 20,000rpm max.
Casing seems to be reinforced/bulked somewhat more where the needle rollers were on the Lysholm, these have been replaced with rollers on the Whipple.

These are just basic differences I have found from what info is available. Most of the increased efficiency seems to be in the above changes.
Interesting.
I only saw in this thread a change in design in in- and outlet port.
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=710525&page=8

But I can sadly not find a compressor map from the w100ax. Without that its difficult to say what the changes in performance and application are. Strange that whipple doesnt provide this info.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts