BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so today in toronto we got our first real snowstorm (was more like freezing rain mixed with some slush lol, but you get the point)

anyways so i had to go to school this morning, but instead of taking the bmw, i decided to take my sisters 98 maxima. Anyways i get to school (far enough drive as it is) and walk to class to find there is noooo teacher :censor: ) ok so im mad now...

I get back into my car (engine warm but cold inside already) and as the car starts up, the windsheild vents blew HOT air onto the COLD windsheild, and all i hear is "CRACK!" - a crack as long as the windsheild is wide! now i have to replace my sisters windsheild.

ANYWAYS moral of story, be careful guys, i just called up my friend and he told me one winter after a long drive, he opened his door quickly and the rush of the cold air cracked his windsheild also.

Sorry, had to vent :D feel better now lol

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
damn thats crazy...sorry to hear that.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hhaaha and when i get home, my sis asks me
"werent you scared the windsheild was going to fall out?"
lol woman.........

·
Registered
238 Posts
For those of you who had to replace a windshield on your e46, what was the cost? I have a rock chip that has now split in three different directions, so I plan to replace this Spring - thanks.

·
Registered
293 Posts
ok, so today in toronto we got our first real snowstorm (was more like freezing rain mixed with some slush lol, but you get the point)

anyways so i had to go to school this morning, but instead of taking the bmw, i decided to take my sisters 98 maxima. Anyways i get to school (far enough drive as it is) and walk to class to find there is noooo teacher :censor: ) ok so im mad now...

I get back into my car (engine warm but cold inside already) and as the car starts up, the windsheild vents blew HOT air onto the COLD windsheild, and all i hear is "CRACK!" - a crack as long as the windsheild is wide! now i have to replace my sisters windsheild.

ANYWAYS moral of story, be careful guys, i just called up my friend and he told me one winter after a long drive, he opened his door quickly and the rush of the cold air cracked his windsheild also.

Sorry, had to vent :D feel better now lol
As I tell everyone thats new to the cold weather is to direct the air on the windsheild when starting with a cold engine. While the engine is warming up, the glass slowly warms up with the temp. Result, no cracked windsheild.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well im happy it didnt happean in my bmw, happeaned in my sisters 1999 niss. maxima. I got a quote for the new windsheild for about 175can. (hope its a quality job)...

"HUCKG" - if you have a crack thats growing (all cracks grow from vibrations etc) from the stone chip, you can get it fixed instead of replacing the whole windsheild. Depending on the size of the crack, a shop here around my house repairs cracks, they heat up the crack and fill it with something (pretty cool, saw it being done)

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As I tell everyone thats new to the cold weather is to direct the air on the windsheild when starting with a cold engine. While the engine is warming up, the glass slowly warms up with the temp. Result, no cracked windsheild.
yeah thats what i do, im not new to cold weather, but i forgot the engine was warm and that the vents were still pointing towards the windsheild.

·
Registered
238 Posts
well im happy it didnt happean in my bmw, happeaned in my sisters 1999 niss. maxima. I got a quote for the new windsheild for about 175can. (hope its a quality job)...

"HUCKG" - if you have a crack thats growing (all cracks grow from vibrations etc) from the stone chip, you can get it fixed instead of replacing the whole windsheild. Depending on the size of the crack, a shop here around my house repairs cracks, they heat up the crack and fill it with something (pretty cool, saw it being done)
Thanks man, but I waited too long. My insurance would have fixed the chip for free, but we had a very cold day before I made the call, so now I have a crack from one end to the other and now it's starting to shoot up and down the windshield as well.:cry: Anyone have an idea what it cost to replace the windshield on an e46?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here in croatia, europe, windsheild price is 620***8364; or 800$, mine cracked last week, in my garage, at normal temp, never find up why

·
Registered
238 Posts
Here in croatia, europe, windsheild price is 620***8364; or 800$, mine cracked last week, in my garage, at normal temp, never find up why
Thanks! I hope it's cheaper in the US...$800 for a windshield! For that price, it should be bullet proof!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
what was the temp outside? must be pretty cold.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
temp outside was only -10, weird how it happeans lol

and geez, 800 for a windsheild for a e46? that better be with install lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts