BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys.

My problem is now sorted so I thought I would share the simple solution.

Over the past few months I have noticed that the idle on my wagon was becoming erratic. It would hunt up and down between 400 - 800 revs and that I could smell some fumes when I was sat in traffic. Occassionally the car would cut out when pulling away from junctions or would feel like it was running on only 3 cylinders.

Had the normal things checked. Fault codes pulled, nothing there. Checked over the pipes, hoses, inlets for cracks. Nothing there. Tried MAF Cleaner. Nothing there, checked gaskets on exhaust and manifold, nothing there. Had the tank flushed and a new filter fitted. nothing there.

Totally stumped.

What brought it to a head was when I checked and topped up my oil. I replaced the oil filler cap, the car would start but would not idle at all and sounded like a bag of spanners. Turns out the oil filler cap was not seating correctly and not making a perfect seal. This in turn was leading to more air in the intake system which caused the car to lean off the mixture, hence the erratic idle and stalling at junctions. Cap adjusted. Problem sorted. Never been so smooth.

Sometimes the simple solutions are the best.:woot:

·
Registered
490 Posts
if you have that problem again, you should look into replacing or cleaning the idle air control valve.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts