BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will try to answer any questions for those putting on there own m3 hood in this thread.
There where alot of little tricks I used to get my hood as close as I could, and if they will help out others then thats cool.

Here is the original thread about my hood and its fit .
my m3 hood installed (http://forum.E46Fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=350838)

Some people might run into different problems so I dont want to just say you have to do this to make it work everyones is going to fit different on the first fitting.I will do my best to help:hi:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
E Popa and I had been PM'ing however he brought up a good point that my questions must be the same as others trying this DIY.

me: When you had to adjust the fenders did you use spacers and if so what did you use?

Epopa: I used washers under the fenders where the screws go.

me: The washers for the top of the fender were they all the same thickness or did you have to vary the thickness and do you remember about how thick they were? Also did you just use washers and the top of the fenders under the hood or did you have to make other adjustments like I heard maybe inside the door?

Epopa: Some got 2 washers some 1 I think. I did not move anything in by the door I did everything by moving the hood points

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The hood points I meant are where the hood attachs to the hinge. You can dremel the hinge alittle bit to push the hood towards the center of the car to get it away from the front panel. This will make the hood alittle narrower at the top where you need it. Also you can shim the hinge part that is connected to the the car in towards the center of the car by loosening the bolts and putting washers behind them. I dont have my car right now to take pictures of what im talking about. But tell me if you dont understand and Ill try to explain it a different way.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also A trick that I figured out the makes the hood even with the fenders is to take adremel with a cut-off wheel and take abot 1/8 of a inch off of the side of the hood. This allows you to pull the hood down and get the top of the hood and the fenders to line up even.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
So I'm about 70% complete on this diy. Thanks again for Epopa's help. I removed the stock hood Friday night. Eventhing came off easily. You need a T30 torx head, 10 and 11mm sockets, 3 in extension, screw drivers, dremmel/grinder, blue lock tight.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
The stock hood is quite a bit heavier than the M3 one. You will need help when removing the stock one and fitting the M3 hood. I will snap more pictures tonight. I had to dremmel the hinges to move the M3 hood toward the windshield per Epopa's instructions. I also used washers on the top of the fenders to move it out a bit. What took the most time was aligning the two fittings that hold the hood in place when closed so that the hood would close properly with little effort.

Next paint and final fitment.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The screws that are one the fenders you will also have to dremel the holes on them closer towards the out side of the fender. You will need to push the fender towards the engine hold it and screw it down that will close your front sight lines. Yes it was a pain getting the pins to line up so the hood closes and locks down.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The M3 hood is alot lighter so it is also a performance mod.:craig:

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All you need is a dremel. It is easy to grind down anything you need.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
However this DIY does take alot of time tweaking stuff. Nothing is really that difficult but it takes time to get it right. Sorry about the pics I at least get some quick ones tonight. Dremmeling the fenders, hood and hinges is a little daunting but the finished look is worth it.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You got that right it all just time. Everytime I thought I was done I found somthing else I could do to get it alittle closer. But when your done its worth it. It probably wouldnt take me as long the 2nd time.

·
Registered
26,534 Posts
All you need is a dremel. It is easy to grind down anything you need.
thing is, I bought my hood used and the paint is already fresh...so I really dont want to hack at it if I dont have to, i dont want to have to repaint something that is already painted...that and I dont have a dremel...

However this DIY does take alot of time tweaking stuff. Nothing is really that difficult but it takes time to get it right. Sorry about the pics I at least get some quick ones tonight. Dremmeling the fenders, hood and hinges is a little daunting but the finished look is worth it.
what exactly do you have to dremel?

·
Registered
28,946 Posts
all i know is that, in order to get my gtr hood to fit properly, my body shop had to lower everything from the headlight assembly to the radiator... it was a TON of work for them to get it right... i assume it can be done at home but would take a LONG time and a lot of knowledge on how to tweak tiny things here and there

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just the bottom of the inside of the hood on each side. all you would need to do is touch it up alittle. That is what I did. It isnt anything that you will see so dont worry about it. my hood was painted before I installed it. You just need to shave some off, so you can get it to go lower so it sits more flush with the stock sides. The only other part you need to dremel is the actual holes on the hinges that are already on the car . You will need to oblong them out ,or back ,or to the side depending on how you need to move the hood. You will also need to oblong the holes on your fenders to slide them closer to center at the bottom of the fender. So if you can get some touch-up paint you can touch up everything that you dremel and its fine. Dremels arent very expensive so pick one up.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
all i know is that, in order to get my gtr hood to fit properly, my body shop had to lower everything from the headlight assembly to the radiator... it was a TON of work for them to get it right... i assume it can be done at home but would take a LONG time and a lot of knowledge on how to tweak tiny things here and there
I brought the fenders up alittle and shaved the hood down alittle. I know what your shop did and thought about doing it that way, but like you said it is way too much work.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Once again pictures are coming. Had to work late again...I willl mark the areas that need to be cut. I also had to dremmel the brackets that hold the pistons that latch the hood.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts