E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an Eonon GA9540 head unit like the one here:

I thought it would simply be a matter of plug and play but it is Not.

My problem is that I have the newer style stock head unit which already has Nav/Tv and the head unit works with two twelve plug connectors, a Blue and White like below:

These do not plug into the Eonon head unit and the plugs supplied by Eonon do not take these connectors.

After more reading, their product page says that if I have this type of connector, I need to purchase this:

Sports gear Goggles Bag Sports equipment Luggage and bags

This is an extended wiring harness. So apparently the stock setup I have means the radio is located in the boot of the car, under the spare tyre.
In their installation instructions, they say I need to Plug in one end to the BM54 radio module in the boot, and route the cable through the car to the dash area, to be able to plug the head unit in.
Some photos from their ebay on this process below:
Product Circuit component Tie Font Audio equipment

Product Automotive tire Automotive lighting Font Motor vehicle

Computer keyboard Automotive tire Input device Peripheral Output device

Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

With all that said -

I'm really not that confident/keen to rip up carpet and try to route this cable from back to front in the hope that the headunit works - And if I decide I don't like the system I'm worried that I may have to repeat the process for another head unit.

So, I was thinking..
Is there some sort of connector I could buy that would plug into my stock (blue & white 12 pin) connectors at the dashboard - and bridge that to the Eonon connectors for the head unit.

Simply - Can i get a connector/converter to bridge;
THIS (the stock cables that are in my factory head unit)
Rectangle Circuit component Font Machine House

TO THIS; (The connectors on the right side for the GA9540)

If all else,
any recommendations on a headunit that is simply plug and play with my white and blue 12 pin connectors?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
You need to run all that wiring from the BM54 amplifier at the back to the new android head unit at the front.

No way around it I'm afraid. The blue and white plugs you have at the moment do not carry any audio from the amplifier, so any headunit you go for will involve messing around with the BM54 in the back i think. (source BMW WDS Online (bmwteka.com) )

Look for pdfs for navigation retrofit in the e46 and follow the steps there that outline putting down the wiring. It's time consuming but it's not that bad a job

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to run all that wiring from the BM54 amplifier at the back to the new android head unit at the front.

No way around it I'm afraid. The blue and white plugs you have at the moment do not carry any audio from the amplifier, so any headunit you go for will involve messing around with the BM54 in the back i think. (source BMW WDS Online (bmwteka.com) )

Look for pdfs for navigation retrofit in the e46 and follow the steps there that outline putting down the wiring. It's time consuming but it's not that bad a job
Ill give it a crack. Do you know where I could find these navigation pdfs for retrofit or any videos? I'm a visual learner.

·
Registered
251 Posts

That post has pdfs attached. As for videos, not sure haven't looked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

That post has pdfs attached. As for videos, not sure haven't looked.
Thanks, I see now.

I might give it a try although I'm fairly terrified of removing interior pieces and things.

If I do it, I will try document the process as there seems to be a massive lack of information around this process.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Its better than it looks, the stuff in the trunk/boot is easy. Take pictures of the units in the car working first. maps/navigation screen/tv etc, in case you want to sell those bits later

Rear seats come out easily. 4 bolts to remove the front seats and electric plugs under the seat. Rear panels are a combination of bolts and clips.

Careful pulling the front seat out of the car, make sure the seat frame does not hit anything on the way out of the car

The inner door sill on coupes/verts slides back with a bit of persuasion. Tempting to pull up, but you will break clips that way. so slide back and use pliers to lift the clips out of the chassis once the sill is removed, so you can slid the clips back onto the sill and then reinstall by pushing the sill down onto the car.

The centre console is all bolts pretty much with the exception of the wooden/plastic interior trim finishers which are clips.

The hardest part is getting the wiring down under the carpet by the centre console.

Great time to give the interior of the car a clean too

Take your time. Keep the pdf instructions to hand. I think the first time I did it took most of the day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.