BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Just installed a Eonon GA9450B and everything is working just fine however I am not getting any sound out of it. I've scoured all the threads and "fixes" that other people have posted but nothing seems to be working on my end. My car has the Harmon Kardon system and from what I've been reading, it has something to do with providing power to the amp via a amp power wire/remote power wire, basically triggering the amp to turn on when everything else is on.

The radio gets reception from AM/FM as it has the station name on the screen and all, but I also tried bluetooth audio, and the headunit seems to be getting sound and signal from everything, just is not providing power to the amp and to the speakers because of that.

I am using the 17 pin plug/harness.

What I have tried:

- In settings, there is an ext amp setting that either needs to be checked or not, I tried both ways and neither triggers any sound. For what it is worth, it was already selected that there was an external amp out of the box, but I tried it anyways
-Tried tapping the blue/white "Ant" cable to the red acc cable on the Eonon harness with a quick butt connector to test as I read in another thread that worked, but no luck on my end
- Tried using the second harness that has the RCA speaker cables + "Ant" and "Amp-Con" wires with female butt connectors and connected the blue/white ANT wire from the main headunit harness to both the "Ant" and "Amp-Con" cables.

I do not want to mess with the factory harness if it is not needed and from what I have seen, this should not be an issue.

So either I am doing something wrong or my headunit isnt working correctly or the red combus box is bad. The factory radio worked before removing.

Any ideas? I will upload some pics in the next post off of my phone.

Reactions: robodon

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Eonon will only respond once per day even when I reply within minutes of their email. So they are making it pretty difficult.

The only thing I have not tried is this

As mentioned, I do not want to splice into the factory harness if I do not have to. I feel like there would be a lot more people with my issue and posting about it if that were the case. Plus, that is 5 years old and the harnesses are just a little bit different.

-------------

Based on this thread sounds like maybe something internally may be wrong with my head unit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Measure the voltage on the power up lead to make sure it (eonon) in fact sends 12V with the key on to your HK amplifier. If I recall correctly, power on lead for HK amplifier in original harness is white.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll take a look.

Eonon said that I need to connect the two amp wires. There is not two amp wires. The one reply per day thing from them is killing me

·
Registered
4 Posts
This may be very late, but I also experienced the same thing. You have to take the ANT wire coming from the main car harness adaptor connector (Eonon supplied) that is blue and plug it into one of the other connector wiring (blue also) that plugs into the back of the head unit. There is a split blue wire with ANT and the other was AMP out. The split wire I have was with the RCA plugs for the video in. They make it easy since the car harness adaptor was a male and the connector assembly had female plugs.

·
Registered
443 Posts
For the record, you are using the the extension harness that Eonon specifies to use if you have navigation AND DSP systems correct? DSP systems are the Harmon Kardon systems.
If you go to the site and click on the unit it tells you that it is not compatible and you have to use the extension harness. Scroll down bout 3/4 of the way and it say for navigation and DSP systems
https://www.eonon.com/Android-Car-GPS/Vehicle-Specific-GPS/Eonon-BMW-3-Series-E46-Android-10-Car-Head-Unit-9-Inch-HD-Full-Touchscreen-Car-GPS-Navigation-with-32G-ROM-Built-in-DSP-Support-Apple-Car-Auto-Play.html

Here is the link for the harness
https://www.eonon.com/Car-Accessories/Automotive-Wiring-Harness/Eonon-Extension-Harness-Designed-for-Eonon-GA9450B-Car-Stereo.html

·
Registered
293 Posts
Following up to see if you ever figured this out - I JUST ordered a 9450B under the assumption it would be totally plug and play for my 2002 w/ H/K system, since I've heard they are in the past?

If so, how do you like the unit? I really would've preferred an AVIN unit since they look stock, but couldn't beat the price here, and since I'm going to be using CarPlay 99.9% of the time, there was no point to not getting a larger screen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is controversial for some reason, since some believe that things must look stock/OE. Sorry, but my cars are drivers AND show-ers! I really like the 9450B, but the interface is a bit restrictive as it comes from Eonon. I am a Apple guy, that wanted AppleCar play, but am lost on the Android interface. There is some app that allows you to customize the look (I have done 2 seconds of research...) but the main 2 pages of the interface was a bit easier on the 9150 I had before with Android 9. I swear the music also sounded better on the 9150, but not by much. I installed the 9150 and it would do weird things with the back up camera image, so I returned it - Absolute NIGHTMARE to do that. Ordered the 9450B and put it in and if you are good with Android lists, then this will be OK for you. I struggle, but I can get through it.

Sound is good, screen is very shiny, and I still have not driven it at night. Probably will not get dark enough for my taste and I will end up turning the screen off, using my steering wheel buttons - which work flawlessly! The install is not bad, but be prepared to cut some dash away, and put most of the wiring harnesses on, just to get the amp signal. I pulled wires from the harnesses just to clean things up, mainly the RCA cords.
For under $200, this is a pretty neat package with interfaces that work well. After a few minutes of the car being off, the radio will take 20 seconds to reboot, but it will immediately go into the backup mode, so I can wait for the radio for a few seconds... that 10-60 oil needs more time than that anyway to get flowing correctly!

I started with the car not having Navi, so I did not need to run that extra harness. The amp issue is a simple one to get wired up since they put all of it in place in the Eonon systems.

Funny thing - The 9150 unit was wired with the amp hooked up, no messing with crossover on harnesses.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Gotcha, so from what I understand you had an extra step for the h/k system (non-nav) to wire up? Or you didn***8217;t? For the 9450B?

And as I understand it the 9450B comes with CarPlay built in, right? No dongle needed?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would like to install a 9 inch Android headunit with Apple CarPlay support into my 2002 330 Coupe with Harman Kardon.
Right now i am still trying to figure out what system would work the best for my car.

From what I have seen so far the Eonon GA9450B is the only 9 inch Android 10 headunit with builtin CarPlay available at the moment, this is what I prefer.
Besides that there is a Xtrons 9 inch Android 9 headunit without builtin CarPlay, but is expandable with a CarPlay adapter.

I have looked at many video’s and websites to gather information about these headunits.
What i can concude based on what I came across so far:

- Both headunits require the dashboard to be trimmed unless you had another navigation system in the car.
- Steering wheel controls should work with CAN bus on both headunits

Now the most confusing and important part, sound:
- Eonon says you need an additional extension harness A0587 ($70) For Harman Kardon version. It looks like this needs te be wired all the way from the radio to the trunk.
- Xtrons should not need an additional extension harness for Harman Kardon version.

Can someone who has experience with any of these headunits in combination with the Harman Kardon system please confirm this and sum op what additional cables and adjustments are needed?

·
Registered
293 Posts
I would like to install a 9 inch Android headunit with Apple CarPlay support into my 2002 330 Coupe with Harman Kardon.
Right now i am still trying to figure out what system would work the best for my car.

From what I have seen so far the Eonon GA9450B is the only 9 inch Android 10 headunit with builtin CarPlay available at the moment, this is what I prefer.
Besides that there is a Xtrons 9 inch Android 9 headunit without builtin CarPlay, but is expandable with a CarPlay adapter.

I have looked at many video***8217;s and websites to gather information about these headunits.
What i can concude based on what I came across so far:

- Both headunits require the dashboard to be trimmed unless you had another navigation system in the car.
- Steering wheel controls should work with CAN bus on both headunits

Now the most confusing and important part, sound:
- Eonon says you need an additional extension harness A0587 ($70) For Harman Kardon version. It looks like this needs te be wired all the way from the radio to the trunk.
- Xtrons should not need an additional extension harness for Harman Kardon version.

Can someone who has experience with any of these headunits in combination with the Harman Kardon system please confirm this and sum op what additional cables and adjustments are needed?
Yep- I've got the Harman system and JUST installed the 9450B - it works plug and play with the included cords, you DO NOT need the extension.

The extension's only needed if you have factory NAV.

I did have to join 2 of the eonon connectors to trigger the amp, but they're labeled & are spade connectors, No soldering or anything required. One on the main harness, and one that comes off the white connector.

I was weary of the dash trim, but you don't need to do as much as you'd think, and it's 100 percent totally ok to go back to OEM.

You're correct in that steering wheel buttons work on both fine. It's all CAN bus.
Built in CarPlay works fine - just make sure you plug the CarPlay cable into the CarPlay USB slot - it fits in 2 slots on the back of the unit. I didn't realize I plugged it into the wrong one and thought I broke it, but then just moved the plug over and it was fine

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is the exact response I was hoping for.
It gave me the final push to order the Eonon GA9450B since they also have an Easter sale going, less pricey and the backup camera and OBD comes with it.

Could you point out with a picture which 2 connectors you have joined? I think this would be helpful for a lot of others as well.
Im also curious where your CarPlay connector is coming out.

I will try to post a write up about the installation as soon as I have installed it!
Ive also seen your post about CarPlay having some weird noise, I will let you know how this turns out for me.

·
Registered
293 Posts
This is the exact response I was hoping for.
It gave me the final push to order the Eonon GA9450B since they also have an Easter sale going, less pricey and the backup camera and OBD comes with it.

Could you point out with a picture which 2 connectors you have joined? I think this would be helpful for a lot of others as well.
Im also curious where your CarPlay connector is coming out.

I will try to post a write up about the installation as soon as I have installed it!
Ive also seen your post about CarPlay having some weird noise, I will let you know how this turns out for me.
Yup! As soon as I can I'll snap a pic, but in case yours gets delivered, there's a blue wire on the main eonon harness, and a blue wire on the white plug that also has RCA jacks on it. Connect the spade connectors and you're set!

The CarPlay one is labeled, just follow the labels- it goes in the space on the right if you're looking down at the unit (I swear this will all make sense haha)

I ended up getting mine exchanged, so new unit should be here Monday. Turned out to be a dud I believe.

Ah! Would***8217;ve told you to get it from their eBay store(s). You can do ***8220;make best offer***8221; and get it even cheaper. I did a bunch and eventually got then down to 225 or so

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am still trying to resolve radio reception issues with a GA9350B with HK and without NAV. Did you need to anything regarding the antenna connection to get decent reception? I reset the country setting but still having issues. I am wondering if I have a faulty adapter cable.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Guys,
When installing the 9450B in a car with HK and factory nav, is the original BM54 radio used for anything? I think I have a bad channel in that module. I won't bother to replace it if it won't be used once I get a 9450 in there. If it must be used WITH the 9450B, I guess I will have to replace it first.

Thanks,

Todd

·
Registered
293 Posts
Guys,
When installing the 9450B in a car with HK and factory nav, is the original BM54 radio used for anything? I think I have a bad channel in that module. I won't bother to replace it if it won't be used once I get a 9450 in there. If it must be used WITH the 9450B, I guess I will have to replace it first.

Thanks,

Todd
The business Cd unit? No this totally replaces it.

If you have the Harmon Kardon system though, you may have a bad amp

·
Registered
134 Posts
Guys,

Thanks,

Todd
No it replaces the BM54, you can get rid of it. Doubt it's the HK amp causing the issue, losing channels is something that BM54s love to do :facepalm:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Beat me to it -

Bringing it back here, just got my replacement unit and the low interference during CarPlay still seems to be there. Anyone else have this?
I may see if I just get a CarPlay dongle and try that, OR go through the hassle to return this & get the 9350B. I really only use it for CarPlay.

The interference is low, but it's there so...

Would love to hear if anyone else hears it! It's ONLY when your iPhone is plugged in.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts