BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
P.I.M.P.
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question what exactly is the difference between the US spec e36 3.0 m3 motor and the current e46 3.0 motor used in the 3 series....if i am not mistaken both use double vanos...both aluminum....both same displacement....similar exhaust system--dual pipe exhaust....if i am not mistaken the m3 has a worse designed stock intake...what accounts for the 20 more hp??? higher perfmance cams? better headers???

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
e36 m3, is actually single vanos. The 3.0 has a different intake manifold than the e46. It actually flows much much better at higher RPM. I think the head is actually slightly different, in the sense that it flows better. The only negative about this motor, is that it does not produce as much low end torque as its m54 3.0 counterpart, Which is why in 1996 they introduced the 3.2 m3 motor which produced better low end power :)

·
Europrojektz NW
989 Posts
Isn't the e36 M3 a 3.2L instead of the e46 330 3.0L???

·
P.I.M.P.
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Amir said:
The 3.0 has a different intake manifold than the e46. It actually flows much much better at higher RPM.

ic so the e36's have a better intake system....what about the 3.2 96+ m3's....didn't they get double vanos along with the 3.2?....my question would be what makes them have the same exact hp as the 3.0 m3's when they have an extra .2 displacement???

·
P.I.M.P.
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
E46_Angemon said:
Isn't the e36 M3 a 3.2L instead of the e46 330 3.0L???
before 96 the e36 m's had a 3.0....the 3.2 was introduced in 96.

I have a second question...what is stopping us 330's from taking the e36 3.0 m3 turbo kit from AA and bolting it on....is it because of doulbe vanos??? or why??

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
K-DOG said:

ic so the e36's have a better intake system....what about the 3.2 96+ m3's....didn't they get double vanos along with the 3.2?....my question would be what makes them have the same exact hp as the 3.0 m3's when they have an extra .2 displacement???
Nope, the 3.2 with double vanos that you are thinking of is the Euro M3 3.2 motor. The US 3.2, dubbed the M50 B32 US is single vanos.

As far as the turbo kit, I posed this same question. KromeX is the person who can best answer this. ANyway, the exhaust manifold will bolt right up, but it's more of a tuning issue. Honestly, anyone can slap together the hardware, but fine tuning the software is a different story. If it didn't take so long, there would be a a turbo kit completed for the e46 6 months ago :).

·
P.I.M.P.
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is it really only the software issue? places do custom software...wouldn't it be possible for example to buy the AA kit and take it to Samir's shop and ask him to do some custom software for your turbo...or some other independent software tuner...I am surprised no one bought the kit from AA, installed it and went to a software tuner by now......i think there have to be other things to be considered other then the software....ie i would like to know if there is enough room in the engine bay...i do wonder how kromex did his setup...is he planning to release his kit ?? I hope his engine doesnt blow:)

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Yes, he is planning to release his setup once its complete. Why don't you buy an AA kit and try it :). The software issues are alot harder than you may think :)

·
P.I.M.P.
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
btw sorta of topic but related....i was recently thinking...but wouldn't the ess kit be ideal for OUR cars(read non-m) without the lsd...since it builds boost depending on rpm...vs the other kits like AA that make max boost down low....b/c if we have lets say 350 hp and close to that in torque at a low rpm...and we dont have an lsd, wouldn't we be peeling out horribly in the first 2 gears....having worse 0-60 times then stock?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
K-DOG said:
my question would be what makes them have the same exact hp as the 3.0 m3's when they have an extra .2 displacement???
The 3.2 L has more torque (236 vs. 225) & low end torque is more widely available (peaks @ 3800 rpm vs. @4200 rpm on the 3.0 M3).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts