BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, well I replaced my starter myself. I was quoted something like $960 to do it, figured I'd learn to do it my own way. I finished it up, needed to get a new battery, car turned on fine. I drove it about 15 miles total after (everything ran smooth, no issues whatsoever). My dad took it for a quick grocery run one day and when he came back out the store, the car wouldn't start. The engine or starter is making a whirring noise, quiet. Nothing mechanical, rough sounding. When I went to unplug the battery, I realized that one of my aftermarket amp wires had come loose, I believe on that same day that this happened. Do you guys think I shorted a fuse/relay maybe?

The fuel pump is new, maybe 6 months old. Starter is new. Battery turns on just fine. But when i turn the key, just hear the whirring. Engine oil is fine, tank is full. I'm stumped. Tried to find suggestions online and I can't find anything concrete. I want to try to attach a video to the post so you guys hear the sound I mention.

Thanks for the help in advance.

EDIT: I checked the fuses and replaced the 20A 3rd fuse, in the 5 fuse box under the hood just in case. Still the same behavior. Anything else I need to look at? I'm so tired of the car sitting around. I finally moved it after 4 months of it being dead, when I fixed the starter in spare time.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll make a YouTube video and post a link asap.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Someone help me ***x1f629;***x1f629;***x1f629; I'm stumped. Completely lost about this.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick update, it's not the fuel pump either. I double checked, the fuel pump is engaging as well.

?!?!??!! Mind blown.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I unplugged the MAF, still no response from the engine. Constant whirring, still can't tell from what. It's as if something is slipping that's all I hear.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does the gear engage with the flywheel? If not, bench test the starter.
Hi, what do you mean by bench test? It's under the manifold, do you mean I should take everything out again to check the starter's condition?

I dont know if the gear is engaging with the flywheel? Because I just hear spinning, so I'm making the sad assumption that it might not be at this point.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Is the crankshaft turning, ie is the pulley turning at the front of the car when you start?

It sounds like the starter is turning but is not engaging the flywheel. Strange as the starter gear needs to be pushed forward to engage when the solenoid activates to give the starter power. If the starter is turning but not the crankshaft, really the only options are to firstly check it hasn't come loose, and failing this, testing the unit.

Testing is done by removing the bolts and pulling it out but leaving the electrics connected. Touch the chassis of the starter on the engine and then get someone to turn the key. You should see the gear jump forward and the starter then turn.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts