BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Im new to the forum, I drive a 02 320D 150bhp sedan

I am not very knowledgeable on the mechanics of the engine and its components. So I apologise for vague descriptions and any incorrect terminology.

I have not seen my car since it broke down but I will explain what happened and what the mechanic has told me on the phone.

Last week, when I started my car, it begin misfiring and cut out. It wouldn't start again so I took it to my mechanic. He told me an injector had shut down and replaced it for me.

I had the car back a few days and I thought it was very loud since I got it back. Yesterday I noticed it was dropping way down in power when I accelerated and then it started misfiring again.

I brought it back to my mechanic, who had a quick look at it today. He said there's no compression in cylinder 4 and that some "flap" (I'm guessing around the cylinder head) has broken up and been sucked into the engine, probably damaging the piston and a couple of valves.

He says that he does not know the extent of the damage yet but a repair job is looking to be well over the 1000 euro mark.

I have two questions:

1. Is it a coincidence that the injectors were been worked on last week and this problem has now arisen? Is it possible this "flap" got damaged while the mechanic was working on changing the injectors?
Would the change in engine volume have been related to this or been an indicator of the problem?

2. Has this happened to anyone else? Is this a huge repair job? The mechanic says that I will probably need to replace a piston and couple of valves.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who reads or replies to this thread!!!

Tom

1 - 1 of 1 Posts