BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Bahn Burnah
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all:) Those that read my last post about having high miles
and adding a supercharger suggested I look into an engine swap.
So I did, I talked to my service advisor about it, and he said it
was really pretty simple. So now I"ll be installing the 3.0L
engine from the 330i! Don't know all the final costs yet, as soon
as I do I'll post it. But here is the question. What does that make
my car? A 323i or a 330i? Or something else? :dunno:

·
-not a mod-
31,619 Posts
a 32330i :D it makes it a BMW with a 3.0 L engine... call it what you want.. Thats cool your getting it though. Good luck

·
Bahn Burnah
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sunapollo said:
how much will the cost around ??

ur car should be called (es 330i) now :D

Ok this is what I'm looking at:
For a 3.0L used, costs will be $2-3K, new will be $7-8K
Installation will be about $2k at the dealership

Now it turns out I can also fit the OBDl engine from the
1995 M3. A good used one will run about $4K.

should be slick either way:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
That's awesome that you've got a dealership service department willing to do an engine swap. I'd go with the OBDI 95 M3 engine, because there is so much potential with that engine. There's a guy who put in a E36 M3 engine into his 528i. He turbocharged it and it puts out amazing power.

·
OG Moderator Extraordinaire
6,276 Posts
Remember that service advisors don't know sh!t a lot of the time...

switching from a M52TU to an M54 may involve a lot more than the SA would think of...

You're going to have to switch computers, all the throttle components since you're going to drive-by-wire system, etc...

I think this will wind up being a costly change...

but good luck and please keep us informed! :thumbup:

·
Sofa-king-what
1,976 Posts
i'm waiting to swap my 323's to my 328's (actually i'm waiting for ltw flywheel...)

it's easier than retrofit nav tv from a non nav system......believe me:thumbup:

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,822 Posts
Keep in mind that in most states (might be federal) it is illegal to put an engine older than the frame into a car. Additionally none of your gauges will work. If you want the details search around. Samir did that exact swap on an E46 a couple years ago. He was never pleased with how it ran and had to use external gauges. I would be cool to use a stack cluster but you are just racking up your costs.

A M54 3.0l is a much simpler swap.

Tim

·
Bahn Burnah
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
B said:
Remember that service advisors don't know sh!t a lot of the time...

switching from a M52TU to an M54 may involve a lot more than the SA would think of...

You're going to have to switch computers, all the throttle components since you're going to drive-by-wire system, etc...

I think this will wind up being a costly change...

but good luck and please keep us informed! :thumbup:
Good advice, but this guy is different, he's done engine swaps before, right now he is putting the new 2.5l from the Z4 into an 87' 3 series. This knows his stuff, he's a true fanatic. He has one the 95 m3's also. And a hopped up mini. He races pretty often, and teaches driving schools. He's done all the work on my car so far, and doesn't gouge me on prices. So yeah, I'm lucky to have a place like that:thumbup:

·
OG Moderator Extraordinaire
6,276 Posts
dbtheo said:

Good advice, but this guy is different, he's done engine swaps before, right now he is putting the new 2.5l from the Z4 into an 87' 3 series. This knows his stuff, he's a true fanatic. He has one the 95 m3's also. And a hopped up mini. He races pretty often, and teaches driving schools. He's done all the work on my car so far, and doesn't gouge me on prices. So yeah, I'm lucky to have a place like that:thumbup:

awesome... sounds legit then...

you ARE lucky... you should see the schleps we have for SAs... :banghead:

good luck!

·
Bahn Burnah
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
B said:

awesome... sounds legit then...

you ARE lucky... you should see the schleps we have for SAs... :banghead:

good luck!
Thanks! I'm pretty excited about it. I'll be sure to report how it
all turns out, w/final pricing too. If everything turns out sweet, maybe I'll just leave the 323 badges on ;) sleeper style! Imagine the shock, especially if I do get the obdl:D

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have swapped to 328 step from 320 step.We used 3,05 differential instead of the 2,93 OEM.The swap was very easy and fast.Just plug and play.We didn't even change the key.If you go from M52 to M54 engine then you face problems because of the different wirring,throttle etc.and it's costly.
I'm very pleased with the new car I'm driving and I' m looking for a supercharger.Any suggestions pls?My ideas are either the ESS or Schnitzer.I live in Europe and I'd like to know if there's a chance to get a used one.
Regards
:) :) :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts