E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad: there are times when my car is not able to sustain the idle speed immediately after a successful start. so i have to step on the gas for like 1 sec after the start & it will be ok. WTF??? sent to workshop & they said my DISA valve (whatever dat is) is bad & replaced it. P/N 11611438404. the problem still exist!!!:banghead: :banghead: :cry:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Idle chocks when engine is cold

I have the same exact problem. It happened right after I had the dealership replace the belt/thermostat/PCV Valve Vent Hose.
I'm not sure what to do now. The neddle drops for a second then goes back to normal and keeps doing this until temperature is at center of gauge. Need help..

·
Registered
221 Posts
guess i[m not the only one that has that problem. i thought it was the intake or something but i ugess not. please if someone has a solution please tell me. the engine feels like it is about to give up when the car starts in the morning. but like HiMIles said once the car is warmed up it is fine. i had this problem for quite a while now. and i notice that HiMile has a 99 328i also. so maybe this only occurs on the 99 e46?:dunno:

·
...and I'd be all shiny..
1,669 Posts
On colder days I sometimes have this problem too. I had it with both the Dinan and Gruppe M CAI so it isnt related to that specifically. I never had to deal with the stock airbox in cold weather so I dont think it had anything to do with that. Is that part listed earlier something in the 325 also?

·
Evil McGriebel
87 Posts
Same problem with my ride. Only notice it when it is cold outside.

·
Registered
688 Posts
voodoo said:
:mad: there are times when my car is not able to sustain the idle speed immediately after a successful start. so i have to step on the gas for like 1 sec after the start & it will be ok. WTF??? sent to workshop & they said my DISA valve (whatever dat is) is bad & replaced it. P/N 11611438404. the problem still exist!!!:banghead: :banghead: :cry:
I had the same problem, my dealer replaced my idle control valve and it has been fine since then :thumbup:

BTW that was last tuesday I had it replaced

Good Luck

John V

·
Registered
642 Posts
This happens to me too! They replaced my MAF...worked for a week then back to not starting right in the morning.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The problem sounds like idle valve controller. I know that a lot of E36 had that problem at round 50 - 60k miles. I woud not be surpriced if E46 have similar problem.

I had similar problem with my previous car an E36. I changed idle valve controller but problem did not go away. It later happened to be the knock sensor. After replacing it the car ran beautifully.

·
Registered
352 Posts
seems like a lot of people have that problem. i have it to. i thought it was just because it is cold outside but sound like it happeneds all over the place. it didn't do that during the summer but now thats tis cold out it does it all the time. i tried reving it up and walking away but it still does it. the rpm's bounce like every 30 sec. and it eventually just stalls.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Re: Engine stalls after starting?!!

johnv325ci said:

I had the same problem, my dealer replaced my idle control valve and it has been fine since then :thumbup:

BTW that was last tuesday I had it replaced

Good Luck

John V
u have the P/N for the idle control valve? can DIY?:confused:

·
1,669 Posts
I'mgoing to call the dealership and get an appointment setup to check that idle control valve and I'll get a part number from them if I can :thumbup:

·
Evil McGriebel
87 Posts
I just took mine in and they replaced the double vanos...seems ok now...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Idle Problem

Guys, If you can post exactly what got changed in your cars along with part #s and prices, that would be a big help. This way we can narrow down the symptom to the part. Thanks

·
1,669 Posts
agriebel said:
I just took mine in and they replaced the double vanos...seems ok now...
The entier double vanos system? :yikes:
That seems like alot of work, do you have the P/n's listed on the invoice of the work done?

·
Evil McGriebel
87 Posts
It looks like they just replaced the "AT adjust unit" part#11-36-1-440-142 and the O2 sensor.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts