BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Removed and "cleaned" the radiator today. Will post up update tomorrow after reinstall and bleeding. Thats kinda the last thing left on the list.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nothing changed any ideas ?
once again I got new:
-thermostat
-waterpump along with belts
-no leaks new hoses
-electric fan
-outlet temp sensor
cleaned the radiator and bleeded the system. Its like a bit cooler but still reaches 99°. Litteraly have no idea what to do next.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Up! Brand new radiator installed, thermostat was tested with 12V and without the termostat( only with housing again). The problem is the same. Lower temp sensor reads 20degrees less so the fan does not come.With more throttlenon idle somethimes water circulates beter I thing and lower temp sensor reads 91 92 when engine is at 98 and 5 secs later reads 70again. Car is trying to overheat on idle and somethimes when driven. Please any Idea ive replaced the whole coolant system (fan radiator water pump no leaks) Car was bleeded with jacked up front runing , runingengine and heater on for 2 hours. Water still has 20+ degrees lower on the output sens while car is 98 on idle even with just the thermostat housing

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
2,069 Posts
Alright then, was having a hard time following this until I realized that a 2nd. person jumped onto this thread.
OP did you ever resolve your issues?

Insofar as to the later poster: What is the coolant temperature of the engine? At idle, when driving? Please share Min & Max temps.
It's not abnormal for the radiator to be cooler than the block. It's somewhat normal. Radiator is cool, engine has the thermostat closed. It reaches the threshold temperature and the thermostat opens. About 80% of the coolant in the radiator (cooler) is exchanged into the engine and then the thermostat closes again. The engine continues to heat, and the now hot coolant in the radiator gets a chance to cool off.
Engine gets hot and the swap of hot to cool happens over and over again.

I suspect a few of things and if it were in my shop I'd start by looking at 3 things:

Is the temperature sensor mounted on the cylinder head reading correct? If not you're chasing a ghost.

Is the thermostat (yes I know it's new. BTW what brand parts did you install???) performing properly?

Is the water pump flowing as it should? If so, as a part 2 of the pump question, is there a blockage or debris in the side of the expansion tank inhibiting coolant flow from the hose and back to the expansion tank?

What fan/fan clutch setup is on your car? Did you alter it from how it was delivered from the factory?

·
Registered
26,223 Posts
My M52tub28 would run 98 at idle...and then the fan would kick in. Whoever's worried about 98 shouldn't anymore.

Normal running for me was between 89 (when on highway in 3rd and the car thought I was racing)-97 when moving. 98 was the temp that triggered the fan in my manual.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts