BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow fanatics,
Any of you M owners experience any intermittent surging of your engine RPM's while in 1st gear? This haves infrequently, but when it does, its irratating. It happens when i'm wanting to wind out 1st gear (but obviously can't) or if i'm at a stop sign and just planning to granny gear through a residential neighborhood. It only occurs in first gear. I'm stumped. Any thoughts, insight or experience related to this that you could relay to me would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bookedup

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Starting out in first gear with (obviously) your foot on the gas pedal and acceralating the car starts to learch forward for no apparent reason. It's like it is getting too much gas (if that's even possible) but then it will ease up for a split second then do in again, and again. The best way i can describe it is almose like a "bucking" feel. I thought it might be a coil intermittantly mis-firing but I wanted to solicit some opinions from other Fanatics, as there is a wealth of information here.

Thanks,

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
smg or manny?

·
Registered
4,865 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's very intermittent and only under throttle in 1st gear, really a very jerky experience. Could a dirty MAF be intermittent, how about vanos?

·
Registered
118 Posts
It's very intermittent and only under throttle in 1st gear, really a very jerky experience. Could a dirty MAF be intermittent, how about vanos?
Electrical (which is what a MAF falls under) can be intermittent and have all other sorts of wierd symptoms. Before worrying about vanos try the least expensive problem and pray it isnt the vanos!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
i know i'm late on this post, but my 06 has the same "symptoms" in first and second, i spoke to my service tech at fields BMW here in orlando and he said its just a characteristic of the car. It is annoying, you either need to floor the X, change gear or just clutch out until the revs drop!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kerbi, thanx for the input. Good to know. I actually have my appt at the dealer tomorrow. We'll see what they say. I won't be surprised if
I hear it is a charactistic of the car.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Returned from my dealer a couple hours ago. Tech reports "normal vehicle operation" and I beleive him.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds just like how any car is when you are not perfectly smooth with the clutch release / throttle engagement. I do think the M is a little more difficult than most cars but it just requires a little more gas on take off.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts