BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard would it be to replace my engine? I have a 2.5 liter one and want to replace it with a 3 liter. How hard would this be? thanks

·
BMW Land Barge
1,376 Posts
It's quite easy. All it requires is around $12,000. :p Better to trade. Unless, of course, you're like me and have a wagon. I havce this fantasy about transplanting a 3.0L in, but I suspect that reality will involve an E90.

·
TheOnlyConstantIsChange
4,301 Posts
Not cost effective, unless for your showcar you just want something rare I guess that would help, I say just get a S/C or trade up

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply guys. Someone's selling an engine out of a 330ci for 3K. it's been used 5K miles..and is in excellent condition. Is that a good deal?

·
Masterdebator
1,582 Posts
that's a very good deal.......take it!!!

IMO, if I had the money to do an engine swap, I'd get the M3 or M5 engine. or the 5.0 lliter V8 that Hartge made.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
$12,000 seems way too much. You are looking at the most 1/2 of that figure. You can find the engine low milage with trans for $3k easily. Swapping out an engine isn't as hard of a task as everyone makes it out to be. If anything, pay your technician some cash on the side and I'm sure it will reduce your costs even more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts