BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2002 318ti (N42) last month. After purchase I discovered the engine will randomly cut out multiple times until it warms up properly. This would be unpredictable and would occur both driving and stopped but once the temp gauge is in the 12 o’clock, this no longer occurs. I ran diagnostics which threw no codes. Forums indicated it could be related to camshaft position sensors. I first tried removing the exhaust camshaft position sensor. After doing this, the engine no longer cut out when cold. I ordered a new sensor but once I installed it, the problem resumed.
Has anyone had a similar experience or any ideas what might be causing this?
I am concerned there may be a larger issue with the engine or camshaft- otherwise I would happily continue running the car without the sensor.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
2,426 Posts
I would buy a INPA setup, get it installed on a laptop (several threads here) and start scanning the car (not just the engine) and start looking at some values of camshaft timing, fuel trims, etc.
From there there's a lot of folks that can offer good advice about solving your issue.

Leaving the sensor unplugged, puts the cams into a fixed position and negates all of the engine power.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts