E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i was wondering, which of these engines would make the most horsepower on stock internals and ( v.s ) aftermarket internals ( most likely race hardware to get the most power ). My i6 ( stock engine for my e46 328ci ) is ok service right now. I’m on to the next step power. And i have a spare engine laying around. My 740il 1999. Which of these has the best tuning capability? I need to scoot around town. I like to go fast. Also i am going to put a turbo on it as well which ever one i go with. So which is the best for all that? Money doesn’t grow in trees but when i have a plan i execute lol. Please help fast.

·
Registered
'01 320Ci manual
817 Posts
Best capability overall will have the engine with bigger displacement. But to turbo the v8 will need too much money, so I would say better with the i6

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,752 Posts
^This. Supercharging the M6x is the only realistic way to get forced induction, and 500 hp seems to be about the max with that combo.

A M52 with forged internals and a properly-selected turbo and peripherals (IC, fuel system, exhaust, engine management) will exceed that without too much difficulty.

That said, the M6x's add'l displacement may make it less peaky and more driveable on the track.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^This. Supercharging the M6x is the only realistic way to get forced induction, and 500 hp seems to be about the max with that combo.

A M52 with forged internals and a properly-selected turbo and peripherals (IC, fuel system, exhaust, engine management) will exceed that without too much difficulty.

That said, the M6x's add'l displacement may make it less peaky and more driveable on the track.

So the i6 is the way to go????

1 - 5 of 5 Posts