E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed to add a little oil to my car. Is there any harm to add a little of 15w-50 Mobil 1 synthetic oil to my 3 series?

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Yes there is harm in doing that weight of oil. It even says in BMW's technical manuals. Check my thread from today on BMW's official policy on 5W40. I switched to 5W40 before finding out about BMW's policy. From what I hear 15W50 will cause the engine to work to hard under normal driving conditions. I believe track racing people would use it or M3 drivers.

fan330xi said:
I needed to add a little oil to my car. Is there any harm to add a little of 15w-50 Mobil 1 synthetic oil to my 3 series?

·
Registered
54 Posts
fan330xi said:
Is there any harm to add a little of 15w-50 Mobil 1 synthetic oil to my 3 series?
Yes, this oil is not even close to the correct viscosity for a 330. Thicker is not always better, and as KevinJ_2k1_325ci pointed out, your engine will actually end up working harder and running hotter if you use it.

You should use a 0W-30, 5W-30 or 10W-30 full synthetic motor oil, even if you drive on the track. My top three brand choices would be Amsoil, Redline or Mobil 1. The only exception is the M3, which should only use Castrol 10W-60 at this point in time.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's the only Mobil1 they had. I only put a third of a quart to top off. Is that really bad?
Should I go get a complete oil change?

·
Registered
54 Posts
fan330xi said:
That's the only Mobil1 they had. I only put a third of a quart to top off. Is that really bad?
Should I go get a complete oil change?
You'll be fine, we overdramatized a bit earlier. 15W-50 is not ideal by any means, but it won't kill your car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts