E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
29,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide which to go with. Maybe I won't notice a difference with all three? Since they all cost around the same, I'd like to go with the best possible mount without TOO much compromise. I'm willing to accept better response as long as its not too crazy. Halp?

Also does anybody know if the E46 M3 and E9X M3 mounts are also fluid filled? Solid?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I used e46 M3 engine mounts to replace my sagging, sorry OE mounts, and they have been great so far. I went with these since they are a little stiffer then stock, and I was hoping they would compliment my upgraded trans mounts and provide a little more longevity. There hasn't been any noticeable increase in NVH at all, so I think that they are a nice little upgrade for the long haul.

I can't remember if they are fluid filled though, and I have no input about the e9x M3 mounts. You have made me curious now.

·
Registered
466 Posts
E46 M3, or E9X M3? are the same type of motor mounts. For those most interested in a vibration free mount, stick with stock. For those wanting a slight performance upgrade with little compromise in comfort, go with the M3 mounts. For those wanting a substantial performance upgrade with a mild compromise in comfort, go with the solid rubber motorsport mounts. For those wanting the ultimate in performance for track use where NVH is not a concern, get the Vorshlag urethane mounts (or better yet, go with their Nylon mounts).

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I just ordered a pair of OEM Motor and Tranny mounts for my car. I feel the dampening is fine and with 140k miles under their belt I feel that is a more than fair lifespan. On my Cadillac I put 3 of the same mount in my car during my 3 1/2 year ownership. FWD + V8 = stupid.

·
:D
7,274 Posts
why wouldn't you stick with stock mounts to insure original "smoothness"? i can't imagine you're replacing your mounts with less than 100k miles on your car. so if stock mounts go another 100k that sounds like a good deal to me. idk i really love how smooth my engine feels. just my opinion though. i can understand the desire to upgrade

·
:D
7,274 Posts
It's not that I don't want the stock mounts, it's just the others are only a couple more dollars. I think BMA has the M3 mounts for $53 ea.
are they really that much stiffer that they will noticeable outlast original non m mounts? it's hard to say. i think anyone stating that is just speculating.

might as well give it a try and report back though.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,977 Posts
Do a search on Group N mounts. Yes they are still oil filled. You probably want to just go with the M3 mounts for sporty upgrade to street. I have the genuine BMW Motorsport Group N which are a bit firmer than the factory M3 ones. But at $1000 a set now don't go that route. At the most I would suggest Bimmerworld's copy of the M3 Group N.
The engineering/safety of BMW mounts is important for both street and track.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Check out SLOTown's posts about motor mounts. He went with the $900 BMW Motorsports mounts, but when I PM'd him recently, he had switched back to OEM. They are old posts, but he analyzed averything pretty well, and he knows what he is talking about. The man is very methodical about his upgrades.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts

·
Registered
29,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Alex and MJ. Yep, SLOtown is one of my idols here on E46F. Easily one of the best cars and members here.

I think I'll just order the M3 ones. Just a tad increase in firmness (which I don't mind since my suspension went that route anyway). Since I am space limited, I'll just put the car on ramps and support the motor via the oil pan using a jack and 2x4 piece of wood.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Trying to decide which to go with. Maybe I won't notice a difference with all three? Since they all cost around the same, I'd like to go with the best possible mount without TOO much compromise. I'm willing to accept better response as long as its not too crazy. Halp?

Also does anybody know if the E46 M3 and E9X M3 mounts are also fluid filled? Solid?
Try eBay Mango. I hear there are some good "deals" on there..... Haha

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.