E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found relatively little information on how to do this for the xi cars. Car is a 2005 330xi, 6sp manual.

There is this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlRg17gCicU
and this post: https://www.rmeuropean.com/bmw-e46-engine-mount-replacement.aspx

I suppose it's all about raising the engine high enough to get clearance. In the video, the guy loosens the subframe, is that really necessary? Others removed the cooling fan, and even the cabin filter housing to raise the engine higher.

If you replaced your xi engine mounts how did you do it?

Chris.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I did them already on our 330xi(auto) and it was a mildly challenging job for sure. That video did not do much for me. I just loosened the fan shroud and raised the engine(engine bar or crane, etc..). Removed both front wheels to have access from the sides(the extra light helped as well). I'd do the driver's 1st. It seem to be the worst. Removing the old is easy of course. I forget, but one of the sides, I needed to loosen one of the brackets. Then tighten within procedure. Having said that, it will transform the car afterwards. It was a huge improvement for us. One of the sides on ours came off in 2 pieces. Best of luck with it.
regards

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did them already on our 330xi(auto) and it was a mildly challenging job for sure. That video did not do much for me. I just loosened the fan shroud and raised the engine(engine bar or crane, etc..). Removed both front wheels to have access from the sides(the extra light helped as well). I'd do the driver's 1st. It seem to be the worst. Removing the old is easy of course. I forget, but one of the sides, I needed to loosen one of the brackets. Then tighten within procedure. Having said that, it will transform the car afterwards. It was a huge improvement for us. One of the sides on ours came off in 2 pieces. Best of luck with it.
regards
Thank you!

Curious about the improvement, did the car vibrate a lot before?

My car does not vibrate that much at idle. However, I feel a noticeable "thump" when changing gears (manual gearbox) and I suspect the engine mounts. If not that, the perhaps the CSB or the transfer case mount?

Chris.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Wait till you drive it afterwards, like night and day difference. Noise, vibrations, thumps are all part of bad mounts. Haven't done the transfer case mount or CB, but parts are on the bench. Other jobs(lower and upper ball joint, control arms, bushings/lollipop brackets, etc.....) have taken priority. I go through and replace all the mounts on the car. Did the guibo in the steering column and did all the hangers for the exhaust.
regards

·
Registered
10 Posts
Recently did my mounts (04 330xi manual), change is very noticeable. Beforehand car was very jerky after letting off the gas in 1st or 2nd. Now it is much smoother. I had to drop the subframe to be able to take the mounts out, I tried prying and pulling but I could never get it to come out. Once the subframe was lowered just a little bit was able to easily put new mounts in.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Thank you!

My car does not vibrate that much at idle. However, I feel a noticeable "thump" when changing gears (manual gearbox) and I suspect the engine mounts. If not that, the perhaps the CSB or the transfer case mount?

Chris.
As a side note, if your intending pulling the intake (which I did a couple weeks later) at some time in the near future, you might consider combining the jobs. It would have made my job much easier on the mounts. You have easy access to loosen up brackets, and fit the mounts.
regards

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just what i have been day dreaming about doing......what brand / material mounts did you buy for a spirited daily driver ?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Just what i have been day dreaming about doing......what brand / material mounts did you buy for a spirited daily driver ?
I just used Corteco engine mounts on our 330xi auto. Made in Germany and I could get the same brand for both sides. Time will tell as to their service life.
Regards

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just used Corteco engine mounts on our 330xi auto. Made in Germany and I could get the same brand for both sides. Time will tell as to their service life.
Regards
I found the left (driver) side mount, but could not find a Corteco right (passenger) side mount, the usual shops seem to be out of stock or say it was discontinued. Thus, I ended up ordering the BMW original.

Chris.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I found the left (driver) side mount, but could not find a Corteco right (passenger) side mount, the usual shops seem to be out of stock or say it was discontinued. Thus, I ended up ordering the BMW original.

Chris.
I believe I got mine through Pelican Parts.
regards

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thank you!

Chris.
transfer case mount and the 3 diff bushings will make a big difference along with the engine mounts. Guys on here rent out the tools for extracting the diff bushings which makes it significantly easier.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
transfer case mount and the 3 diff bushings will make a big difference along with the engine mounts. Guys on here rent out the tools for extracting the diff bushings which makes it significantly easier.
Thanks, but replacing the diff bushings looks like a really tough job. Have you done it? I will check the bushings, but I hope that they are in good shape.

Chris.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thanks, but replacing the diff bushings looks like a really tough job. Have you done it? I will check the bushings, but I hope that they are in good shape.

Chris.
I paid a shop to do it, I think it was a 2-3 hour job for them. Apparently with the correct tools you don't need to drop the diff but it makes it significantly easier if you do, especially if your car has any rust. But mine had a noticeable clunk when shifting and that made a big difference.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I replaced both engine mounts on my 2005 330xi today. It was MUCH easier than I thought! The car has 163K miles and the mounts looked original. Transmission is 6sp manual.

I used the engine support bar from Harbor Freight and a long extension to get the 16mm nuts from the top. The HF bar worked perfectly, I did not even have to use the chain, it hooked right into the lift bracket on the top of the engine. I did not have to drop the subframe, which was the main thing I worried about. I did one mount at a time, leaving the other one on with the top nut loosened and then raised the engine. The only difficult part was getting the driver-side mount out, it was fiddly. The passenger side mount came out very easily after removing the two E10 bolts from below. The engine bar raised the engine enough to clear both mounts. I did not have to remove the cabin filter housing, but I did remove the electric radiator fan shroud.

The mounts were not in terrible shape, they came out in one piece, unlike some videos I saw, but they were definitely compressed. Neither was leaking before, but as soon as I raised the engine the passenger side mount started leaking oil (smells terrible BTW).

There is definitely an improvement, but not huge because the mounts were not that bad to begin with.

If you are thinking about doing the mounts in your xi but hesitated, do it! The combination of the engine bar and doing one mount at a time worked great for me. If I had to do it again I would probably do it in an hour, 90mins tops. And best of all, you do not have to mess with the subframe.

Chris.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts