BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was wondering for almost 5 years now:bawling:, what is it with having a big displacement engine but little HP? like my car, its a 6 cyl 2.5L, but with only 170 hp (?). but there are 4 cyl 2.0L engines that can push out more than 200 hp, like the s2000. why wont BMW push out more power with the 2.5L?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
The S2000 actually has 240 hp. But the I6 from BMW is really known for the nice power curve and torque it produces. Most magazines who test BMW 2.5-3.0L engines note its hp deficiency on paper to other cars in the test, but how the "seat" factor seems to show it has more power. And more often than not, the BMW usually wins those comparo road test, even against more powerful cars.

I've driven the Acura TSX (200 hp I4) and it's a beautiful car, especially in its reflexes and tranny, but my 6 year old 2.8L (193 hp or less considering how old it is now) feels a lot faster because of the great low-mid range torque.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Don't forget.... in order for a S2000 to produce 240hp, the engine has to rev to 7800rpm. Our 2.5L engine peak hp arrives faster at 6000rpm. Not forgetting a lower displacement engine has much lower torque....

·
Registered
27 Posts
oofie said:
so i was wondering for almost 5 years now:bawling:, what is it with having a big displacement engine but little HP? like my car, its a 6 cyl 2.5L, but with only 170 hp (?). but there are 4 cyl 2.0L engines that can push out more than 200 hp, like the s2000. why wont BMW push out more power with the 2.5L?
Since when was 2.5L of displacement considered big? ;)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gabe_H said:
Since when was 2.5L of displacement considered big? ;)
i meant it was relatively big compared to the japanese auto-industry. but yeah, 2.5L is not that big :bawling: . dont worry bro, ill PM you whenever i have a 3.2 s54 in my engine bay :thumbup:

·
Registered
724 Posts
There are two ways to get horsepower from a NA engine, spinning it faster or increasing displacement. High rev's make for a car that is more difficult to drive and typically will lead to a reduced engine life. All things being equal, a lower average engine speed will yield a longer engine life. An engine is only going to last for a certain number of revolutions so the faster you spin it the quicker it will wear out. Increasing displacement is the preffered method of developing HP and TQ. Motorcycle engines of only 1 liter are now producing close to 200 HP at the crank. My ZX-6R made 95 HP at the crank but had to rev to 14,500 RPM to get that done. In the end, BMW has chosen to lean more towards the civilized side with their 3 series engine choices. Reasonably low RPM's coupled with a reasonable amount of cc's gives a very nice balance of power ,engine life, drivability, and durability.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
330man said:
There are two ways to get horsepower from a NA engine, spinning it faster or increasing displacement. High rev's make for a car that is more difficult to drive and typically will lead to a reduced engine life. All things being equal, a lower average engine speed will yield a longer engine life. An engine is only going to last for a certain number of revolutions so the faster you spin it the quicker it will wear out. Increasing displacement is the preffered method of developing HP and TQ. Motorcycle engines of only 1 liter are now producing close to 200 HP at the crank. My ZX-6R made 95 HP at the crank but had to rev to 14,500 RPM to get that done. In the end, BMW has chosen to lean more towards the civilized side with their 3 series engine choices. Reasonably low RPM's coupled with a reasonable amount of cc's gives a very nice balance of power ,engine life, drivability, and durability.
now that makes sense :bow: thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts