BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was less than 10min away from home when the engine check light came on, and decided to keep on going. Approaching to a red light, I positioned the gear (manual) to neutral & slowly step on the break...then all of the sudden I saw the dash lights are on and the engine died....

The car started right away & made it home, but the engine check light is still on...any idea what’s wrong???

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^ I know, its 5:30pm shops are closed already & I obviously dont have a reader. I was hoping someone here might have an idea what is wrong or had a similar problem.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This blows!!! I just spent $800 for new rear breaks, front & rear mount diff. last month, and now this!?!?!?!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Probably a vacuum leak somewhere. I bet its the boot that goes into the throttle body. Just a guess though.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Ive had mine now for 2 weeks, and mechanic just disables it and it reappears again, been driving like that for like 2 weeks. He said there is nothing serious he just needs lots of time to find the problem cuz it might be many things

·
Registered
545 Posts
Maybe your starter motor is on its way out. If it continues to do this more often, eventually it just won't start anymore and you'll need to replace it. Hopefully not though, the install for that is crazy expensive. good luck

·
Registered
152 Posts
Maybe your starter motor is on its way out. If it continues to do this more often, eventually it just won't start anymore and you'll need to replace it. Hopefully not though, the install for that is crazy expensive. good luck
the starter has nothing to do with the car stalling while driving. lol

·
Registered
205 Posts
That used to happen on my old Pontiac, it was the Alt. 3 times. Not sure if its the same in the BMW.. however I have also had that happen to me twice where I slowed down in N and it stalled.. started up, engine light was on for a little.. and I haven't done anything and it hasn't happened for a year.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Ive had mine now for 2 weeks, and mechanic just disables it and it reappears again, been driving like that for like 2 weeks. He said there is nothing serious he just needs lots of time to find the problem cuz it might be many things
Time to find a new mechanic.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, shop did the code reading & told me that the car is reporting an air loss, but he can't find it which air hose, as all are intact. He reset the computer for the Engine Check Light to go away & told me to keep on using the car & if the check light comes back, to see him again. Its been 2 days now, so far so good :thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts