BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every morning when I leave for work after I drive for less than a mile to the closest stop light my car seems like it coughs. While at a complete stop my car will "cough" RPMs will jump from 1000 to about 2000 for a split second and drop back down to idle. Why is it doing this? I don't warm up my car, I just start it up and back it out. When I leave the house it is usually not that cold probably low to mid 40s. It only coughs in the morning. What gives? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Should I warm up my car? Take it to the dealer?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what i read too that is why i don't warm up in the morning.

·
Registered
245 Posts
it's always a great idea to warm up a car for like a minute to let the oil warm up and set..not sit there for like 5 or 10 minute.

when you run on cold your RPM will go up and down for a bit cause the oil still cold.

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,151 Posts
bring your car into the dealer

if you have a e46 model bmw i heard up untill mid 2003 they had
a problem with starting in the morning if it was cold or if you did not start your car for a few days. i know this is not your problem.
but what i want to say is that in the middle of 2003 they came out with softwear to let you start the car and drive it with no problems. you should ask your car adviser that they came out with softwear for our e-46 cars from the beginning of the model run to just when the 2003 cars came out. see if your car is in that trouble run and see if they have the new softwear for your car comp. for the trouble you are having. i had trouble like that with my 2003m3 i was ready to sell the car had the trouble like 3 to 4 months then they read that their was a fix for the comp. after i got the new softwear i never had trouble like that again. check it out can't hurt to try. you may get lucky and they just may have a cure for your car trouble.
bobm3 ;) ;)

·
Registered
189 Posts
do u have a CAI...
because i heard that a car with a CAI will exibit those symptoms and that it's rather normal...

i have a DINAN CAI and my car does that...

but i dono wa to think of it

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: bring your car into the dealer

bobm3 said:
if you have a e46 model bmw i heard up untill mid 2003 they had
a problem with starting in the morning if it was cold or if you did not start your car for a few days. i know this is not your problem.
but what i want to say is that in the middle of 2003 they came out with softwear to let you start the car and drive it with no problems. you should ask your car adviser that they came out with softwear for our e-46 cars from the beginning of the model run to just when the 2003 cars came out. see if your car is in that trouble run and see if they have the new softwear for your car comp. for the trouble you are having. i had trouble like that with my 2003m3 i was ready to sell the car had the trouble like 3 to 4 months then they read that their was a fix for the comp. after i got the new softwear i never had trouble like that again. check it out can't hurt to try. you may get lucky and they just may have a cure for your car trouble.
bobm3 ;) ;)

thanks, i'll take it to the dealer since its still under warranty.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sir.B said:
do u have a CAI...
because i heard that a car with a CAI will exibit those symptoms and that it's rather normal...

i have a DINAN CAI and my car does that...

but i dono wa to think of it
no I don't have a CAI, i don't know if its a big problem but it just doesn't sound good. especially since I have only had it for 6 months.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Commander FAT said:
Well you asked if you should warm up the car, so that's why I mentioned the manual. :)
Thanks for your input, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. Its hard when you try to articulate your points in text.

·
Track it
930 Posts
I have a Benfer CAi and when I shut my car off, it farts.....but its an SBD (silent but deadly).....luckily it doesn't smell, but often, as soon as I shut the car off, it makes a pssst sound like escaping air..kinda funny if you ask me...

·
Banned
684 Posts
E28Fiend said:
I have a Benfer CAi and when I shut my car off, it farts.....but its an SBD (silent but deadly).....luckily it doesn't smell, but often, as soon as I shut the car off, it makes a pssst sound like escaping air..kinda funny if you ask me...
We actually built that feature in so you could really fart and blame it on the car.

-Dan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts