E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently purchased a 2001 330i sedan. Its got 231k on it but virtually no rust and the underside is in great condition too. I recently changed the fuel filter, spark plugs and mass air intake. When I was replacing the spark plugs I saw this piece on the engine that I think is a pressure vacuum and it was cracked. Eventually I decided to Rip rest off as it just came off like hard styrofoam. How would I go about fixing this specific part. I'm also having rough with these codes as the car runs rough at idle. I suspect bad fuel injectors and fuel pump

·
Registered
2001 330xi
929 Posts
That hard styro is part of the CCV system and wrapped around an actual hose, which seems to have broken off. So, your CCV system needs replacing. Definitely that hose, more likely all of it. The engine codes likely come from the resulting vacuum leaks. You'll likely need to replace more plastic parts than the CCV (various intake parts). Start with that CCV part and it's other parts, also inspect all rubber parts of the intake for obvious cracks etc. When you think the system is tight again, do a home made smoke test to verify (google homemade smoke tester).
Fana

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That hard styro is part of the CCV system and wrapped around an actual hose, which seems to have broken off. So, your CCV system needs replacing. Definitely that hose, more likely all of it. The engine codes likely come from the resulting vacuum leaks. You'll likely need to replace more plastic parts than the CCV (various intake parts). Start with that CCV part and it's other parts, also inspect all rubber parts of the intake for obvious cracks etc. When you think the system is tight again, do a home made smoke test to verify (google homemade smoke tester).
Fana

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
Did a full CCV system replacement and it fixed the misfiring!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts