BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 323i, with a 2.5 liter engine, and an automatic tranny:( Anyways, I got the engine codes: P0500, P0420, P0133, P0153, P1423 , P1420, P1188. Could someone please let me know what they mean? Thanks..

·
Is NOT A Mechanic
5,888 Posts
Hi -

The codes you are listing are generic OBDII codes, which are a government-designed emissions based monitoring system. While they may offer clues as to the problem the car is facing, there is a separate BMW specific diagnostic system in your car. Generic OBDII readers (like those used at auto parts stores) will not see the BMW codes.

Please have a look at the article in my signature titled "Is your check engine light on?" for more information about the types of codes and tools. We carry tools from Peake Research, which DO read the BMW factory codes.

To see the translations of the generic codes you listed, check the Do It Yourself sub forum on this message board. There is a list of all generic codes. That said, I do strongly recommend not basing your repair efforts on these codes without checking the factory codes first.

Best of luck,

Ken

1 - 2 of 2 Posts