BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Been driving my e46 318i with loving care for the last 5 years.

I have been experiencing engine smoke coming from the engine bay during driving. It generally occurs when the car has been running for a minute or two, and happens for about 10 minutes and then goes away.

It does come back at times, even when the motor is warm and has been running for a while.

I have had my oil hoses and oil separator changed by my mechanic. I have now done my valve cover/rocker cover gaskets by myself, and just after replacing them and starting the motor it has happened again.

The smoke comes from the back left of the motor bay when standing in front of the car.

I have seen posts that it could be the vacuum pump attached to the back of the motor (on the rear of the valve cover.

Can anyone give me advice to whether it is advisable to remove, clean and reinstall the vacuum pump with new o rings and if this would solve the problem?

Please advise. Your help will be appreciated

·
Registered
505 Posts
Do you smell burning oil? Your valve cover gasket could be leaking oil, which then runs down the engine block and onto the hot exhaust headers. Clean up the left side of your engine block with degreaser, and check after a few days to see if it is still clean. If not, replace the valve cover gasket.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I smell burning oil/smoke.

But as said already, I have just replaced the valve cover gasket this afternoon.

So it's not that at all.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Did you clean off any oil residue off the block/headers? It will take a while to burn off all the oil left over if you did not clean any up. And you would have had to clean up every last drop of oil, or there will still be some left over to burn.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cleaned everything off that I could see.

What would be preferable. Do the service on the vacuum pump tomorrow, or drive the car for a couple days and see if the problem persists?

Thanks for the time and advice!

·
Registered
317 Posts
I changed the valve cover gasket on my old e34's M50. Even AFTER it was changed there was still some oil seeping down the side on the exhaust side, that I hadn't cleaned thoroughly enough.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will drive the car for two days and let you know what happened!

Thank you for your time I appreciate it!

If anyone else has suggestions please keep them coming I want my girl to be up and running!

·
Registered
505 Posts
I would drive the car for a week or two before doing anything else, give it a few good long drives to burn off anything. Mine was smoking and smelling for up to a month after, due to the amount that was left over. Monitor oil level to make sure you don't have any massive leaks (wait 5 min after engine shut off, check on level surface).

The vacuum pump (secondary air pump?) has absolutely nothing to do with you burning oil or smoke. It only runs the first 60 seconds on a cold morning to heat the catalytic converters up. All it does is send air into your exhaust system.

Have you replaced the CCV on this vehicle yet? That is also a common failure point that would allow for burning oil.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the ccv the oil separator? Because if it is then yes? I have done this!

I will drive the car for a while and see what happens! Maybe take it for a long drive and try to burn it all off!

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Yes, CCV is the oil separator.

I'm 99% sure your problem stems from the leftover oil burning off. Unless you've had exhaust work done in the past, just let the oil burn off and you should have no more smells or smoke within a few weeks.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Put your hand down the back of the engine and feel the underside edge of the vacumn pump. Fresh oil there means it's leaking. There are two o-rings here - the first is where the pump meets the engine block with the second one inside the pump itself. The two are not too expensive.

Obviously, the oil just falls in drips onto the exhaust pipes below. The oil is thin so once you've plugged a leak, that should be it. There's no way you should have residue

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts