BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
yuppie racing
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
whats up with this??

"car and driver" talks about BMW placing an engine amplifying system in all their 3.0 liter Z4s.

For curiosity purposes, is it available for 330s???

engine amplifying system-

"Here's how it works: Theres a black plastic tube about three inches in diameter connected to the intake system between the air filter and engine. The tube wends its way rearward to the firewall, connecting just above the driver's footwell. It is in effect a subwoofer for the engine. The tube is sealed by a flexible membrane that vibrates a column of air and sends a convincing facsimile of engine noise into the cabin."

They go on to state that the new engine note isnt really evident until about 4000 rpm and it changes the sound from an inline six to some other higher strung engine. They said they thought it was pretty cool until about 5500 rpm where the resonance was annoying.

Does anyone else no about this, or at least heard it in person???

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Is it in here? I wanna know what it is as well, but I just couldn't find it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have driven the Z4 3.0 6-speed. The first thing I noticed when I started the car was that the engine/exhaust tone sounded so much deeper. When I drove the car around I noticed the engine sounded so much more aggressive than the 330 motor (I have driven a 330Ci as well). I didn't find the sound annoying at all, it sounded great. I've seen similar magazine reports about the engine "subwoofer". I think someone on the forum was looking into these parts on the ETK CD and attempting to do a retrofit.

·
yuppie racing
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Yes I know about it.

It is a "Intake Subwoofer". I actually read a report on Seimens web site about this "technology" if you will. Apparently it is nothing new and originated in the 70's. By the late 70's and beyond, the gas concious consumers wanted quieter engines. Several auto manufacturers plan to implement this intake subwoofer but they didn't name names.

So fast forward to 2003 and the Z4 introduces this intake subwoofer. It essentially is a intake resonance chamber with a twist. The tube connects through the firewall. The end of the tube is under the dash and has a type of membrane on the end of it which acts sort of like a drum. As you press the gas, air goes into the intake as well as resonate sound from the engine, it travels down the tube path the the membrane, and bounces sound back and forth in the tube to produce a deep tone. I did see the picture of it and review and basically they said, it was ok at first but caused a drone sound at certain RPM's that became annoying.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts