E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, longtime lurker, first time posting. I've got a problem that's been going on for a couple months and I'm at my wits end.

Randomly after driving my manual 2002 325i for a bit, my EML, Traction Control & Brake Lights will turn on and stay on, sending my car into limp mode. Acceleration is spotty (if not outright deceleration at times) and potential for stalling is heightened. I've had acceleration cut out trying to cross traffic lanes - not good. The lights only turn on when my foot is on the accelerator, usually holding at the same speed. It's never happened with my foot off the accelerator or while braking. More often than not, when removing my foot from the accelerator, there's a bit of a jolt and sort of a knocking sound. Once I turn the car off and restart, the lights are gone but inevitably they all come back on.

Here's a list of the work that I've done in the past several months either directly trying to fix the problem or general maintenance:
  • Replaced brake line at back of car to rear right wheel; fluid flush - no leaks; brake fluid is completely full [general maintenance but important in regards to code below]
  • Replaced steering rack - shop alignment and recentered
  • Checked intake boots for holes - all intact
  • Cleaned throttle body (without removing) with throttle body cleaner
  • Removed and cleaned ICV and reinstalled
  • Replaced all four wheel speed sensors with new ones
  • Replaced Intake Camshaft Position Sensor
  • Replaced Exhaust Camshaft Position Sensor
  • Replaced Accelerator Pedal Module
  • Cleaned MAF
I've looked through many other forums and seen people suggesting, TPS sensors, Accelerator module, MAF, ABS module, throttle body replacement and more, so I've tried to tick all the boxes. My main concern is the possibility of

I just got my PAsoft Scanner today and ran it. My focus was on the ABS module codes since everyone leans towards that being the issue. But also included are DME codes in case they're relevant:

ABS
  • 5E24/A0 - Pressure sensor 1/2 not plausible.
  • 5E5D/A0 - Brake_fluid_level low / Switch faulty. [not possible for fluid to be low - reservoir is maxed out]
  • 5E19/A0 - CAN DME/DDE, engine torque not adjustable.
DME
  • F6/B8 - Secondary air system, flow rate too low, bank 2
  • F5/B8 - Secondary air system, flow rate too low, bank 1
  • D3/B1 - Idle speed control valve, mechanical fault, jammed open
  • E4/B2 - Oxygen sensor controller, bank 2, deviation too great, deviation lean
  • E3/B2 - Oxygen sensor controller, bank 1, deviation too great, deviation lean
    • Shadow-memory:
    • F6/B8 - Secondary air system, flow rate too low, bank 2
    • F5/B8 - Secondary air system, flow rate too low, bank 1
    • E4/B2 - Oxygen sensor controller, bank 2, deviation too great, deviation lean
    • E3/B2 - Oxygen sensor controller, bank 1, deviation too great, deviation lean
    • 5A/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative
    • 5B/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
    • 5D/12 - Exhaust temperature after catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
    • 34/02 - Solenoid valve, exhaust flap, short circuit to negative or open circuit
I'm new to these codes so I'm not entirely sure how to interpret. Are there other modules I should look at? What could these combinations of codes point to?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've looked through many other forums and seen people suggesting, TPS sensors, Accelerator module, MAF, ABS module, throttle body replacement and more, so I've tried to tick all the boxes. My main concern is the possibility of
Forgot some words. What I meant to say was My main concern is the possibility of a faulty ABS module as I know it's not a cheap fix at all.

·
Registered
207 Posts
From my experience I've had a bad maf cause some of these symptoms. It's a 50/50 shot though.
Although this is more of an issue with 323/328, I've also had a bad throttle body cause these exact symptoms too. I haven't seen a 325/330 do this yet though.
If you are handy with computers you can do an abs module replacement for way cheaper than a shop. I recently did on one a 330i and it went alright.
Definitely keep and eye on that idle control valve too if it has an intermittent electrical issue it can trip the eml in a heartbeat

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
19,110 Posts
The traction control and DSC lights are on from these ABS/DSC codes.
  • 5E24/A0 - Pressure sensor 1/2 not plausible.
  • 5E5D/A0 - Brake_fluid_level low / Switch faulty. [not possible for fluid to be low - reservoir is maxed out]
  • 5E19/A0 - CAN DME/DDE, engine torque not adjustable.
It does sound like a bad DSC module, especially on a 2002. Those 2002 MK60 modukes go bad often. If you do replace it get one from a 2004+ year as they improved a lot later on.

The EML light is on because of a stuck ICV. The ICV does most of the low end throttle control.

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
11,300 Posts
Agree with BD and unfortunately it's a gamble. Do you replace the pressure (2) switches, or do you replace the DSC module?

I doubt it's trying to stall, despite all the DME codes. More likely the DSC being safety minded and trying to kill you ate the same time, because something's amiss.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.