BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
I thinbk his is a E46 m3, so I doubt the throttle actuator failed. He should do a TPS sweep test with an Ossicloscpe
ooo i didn't notice it was an m3, that changes everything.

glad to see you are still lurking around here though.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I thinbk his is a E46 m3, so I doubt the throttle actuator failed. He should do a TPS sweep test with an Ossicloscpe
Hey JB, Oscilloscope? with a wave pattern display?? haha I wish I had one of those! Or do you mean a multimeter that can measure ohms? I used a multimeter for my test below.

Update:
I pulled the TPS on the front of the engine off I believe this is "TPS 1" not sure. I took a multi meter and turned the white dial on the inside around several times slowly and the resistance moved smoothly through the multimeter. I also pulled the Pedal off and started testing the 6 pins on the inside. I get readings off of some of them but they do not change when I push the pedal down, wierd. (Readings came from pins 2,3 and 4,5) If someone knows how to properly test this let me know.:hmm:

I still have to pull the other TPS off (TPS 2??) and test it. Does anyone have instructions/experience on how to get to this, I have searched and many people shy away from trying to get to it. Maybe for good reason?

If anyone can correct me on the TPSs labelling (TPS 1 TPS2) I would appreciate it! Thanks for the responses guys, keep em comin!! :D I will keep you updated.:thumbup:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I replaced the Gas Pedal, which has two potentiometers in it. It seems to have fixed the problem so far. I have not received any Check engine lights or EML lights.
However, with all the research that I have done on it, this is not an easy puzzle to solve. The problem is intermittent so it can go away for a while making it seem that you have fixed it. So far so good with me though, I did notice an immediate improvement in with the new pedal, but I am not totally convinced yet. Bottom line is, it can be any one of these sensors...gas pedal potentiometer, TPS1 in the front of the motor, TPS2 under the intake manifold. Make sure you have someone with a BMW tool read your codes (peake tool if you have a check engine light), even if the light has gone away. It will definitely help you close in on the exact problem.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Hey Gam3R,

I have the same set of codes (or close.) My Peake is reading:

4f Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor
76 Throttle Position Sensor 1
77 Throttle Position Sensor 2
78 Throttle Position Sensor Cross Check
79 Throttle Position Sensor Both Bad

I have been thinking Gas Pedal myself. It is very odd how it goes, sometimes I can feel a hesitation in the throttle (always during light acceleration) and sometimes I don't even notice the EML has come on until I am almost home.

Please update, I have an appt to get my car into a shop with real software for reading these codes, but if the Gas Pedal really fixes it I know what to tell them.

Where did you source your part?

Thanks

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
RSDeuce,
I spent many hours looking into my problem. When these codes appear it can either be Tps 1, 2 or the pedal. In my case it may be the pedal. I have not had any problems since I replaced it but the problem was intermittent, so I am going to give it more time. Your codes are showing a different issue with the temp sensor, but I am certain it's one of the three sensors.

I got the pedal at getbmwparts.com took about a week to get to me. I will supply the part number in a few.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Part number as promised

35426786282 Pedal travel sensor, m3, manual trans 2002 - 2006

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
RSDeuce,
I spent many hours looking into my problem. When these codes appear it can either be Tps 1, 2 or the pedal. In my case it may be the pedal. I have not had any problems since I replaced it but the problem was intermittent, so I am going to give it more time. Your codes are showing a different issue with the temp sensor, but I am certain it's one of the three sensors.

I got the pedal at getbmwparts.com took about a week to get to me. I will supply the part number in a few.
Part number as promised

35426786282 Pedal travel sensor, m3, manual trans 2002 - 2006
Many thanks. It is at least a lead. Did you diagnose based only on the Peake, or was a shop able to narrow down the issue?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Many thanks. It is at least a lead. Did you diagnose based only on the Peake, or was a shop able to narrow down the issue?
1. After a few EML lights I got a Service Engine Soon light, so I had a chance to use the peake (The Peake only reads codes from the system that produces the Service Engine Soon Light). I read my SES codes and they all pointed to the drive-by-wire system.
2. I decided to go down the list of easiest to hardest part testing. For example TPS 1 right in the front of the motor (Easiest), then Pedal, then TPS 2 under the intake manifold (Hardest). TPS 1 was fine(used a multimeter) then I pulled the Pedal off and tried to test it with no luck. I think it needs a 5v power input to work, but that is just speculation. I didn't want to start taking parts off my car for the TPS 2 without more info, so I turned to the forums for additional help.
3. Draja, a fellow fanatic, was kind enough to bring his laptop loaded with very powerful software and retrieved the EML codes that the Peake will not pick up. The laptop picked up "3C Pedal Position Sensor 1, Master Measurement, and 3D Pedal Position Sensor 2, Master Measurement" codes so it reconfirmed that something had to be fixed in the drive by wire sensors (TPS 1, TPS 2, or the Pedal) It still seems vague which one it was because I didn't know which sensor was the Master Measurement...lol. But I took a gamble thinking "Master=initial or first" which would be the pedal, the initial point of measurement.
4.Finally, I went to a local shop here in NOVA, called RRT. Because of the new pedal, they decided to recalibrated the system with a $923474945 piece of hardware for safe measure. A GT1 I believe. The car hasn't had a problem with the EML light or acceleration hesitation/hiccup/jitters since. That includes under light acceleration, god that was annoying. Hope that helps

21 - 30 of 30 Posts