BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys,

I've got an interesting version of the EML, DSC, Brake light problem. I have a 2005 M3

1. It is VERY intermitten, as in long periods of time go by when it happens.
2. First the EML comes on randomly, then the DSC comes on usually minutes later
3. Here is the FUN part!(Thinking cap) When I make a semi-hard left turn at low speeds (like pulling into a parking space) ALL 3 light up instantly! :yikes:

Does that mean something is loose(like a wire)? Maybe the accelerator is not seated properly? Its really strange.

Additional, probably important note. The EML+DSC comes on 95% of the time when I am BARELY pressing the gas. Usually in 5th gear when I am cruising with no pressure on the gas. I can definitely feel it acting weird, very very slightly jerky at that position.

Let me know what you think!!:hmm:

·
Registered
996 Posts
Check your tire pressure. And search for wheel speed sensor, or wheel angle sensor... those are confirmed to light up the cluster.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, I will definitely check the tire pressure. I have a slow leak in the rear right, which may cause the right turning issue. But why the EML light?? That really confuses me.
I also may have 2 unrelated problems, with the tire sensor being one of them. I'll try to get some codes this weekend after I fill up the tires.

The second part of my problem with the slight jerkyness in 5th gear? Its a strange problem. TPS maybe? Oh also I can't make the throttle hold anywhere between 2k and 3k rpms. Let me explain, basically I rev it up to 2k and it will hold just fine, then if I press ever so slightly and hold it. (Enoughto bring it up to 2.1 2.2 or even 2.5). It slowly creeps up to 3k when I'm not increasing pressure on the accelerator...lol what is that??

·
Registered
110 Posts
You need to get the codes read. They will be stored in the dsc unit.

Peake tool and autozone code readers won't cut it...

--D

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Check your tire pressure. And search for wheel speed sensor, or wheel angle sensor... those are confirmed to light up the cluster.
See quote below yours, that should have been your first response.

You need to get the codes read. They will be stored in the dsc unit.

Peake tool and autozone code readers won't cut it...

--D
Correct, and this should have been the first answer in this thread. People on this forum are retarded and try to diagnose cars by throwing parts at them and always saying wheel speed sensor. Speed sensors on these cars dont go bad all that often. Get the codes pulled and see what is actually wrong with the car. If you want more info click the link in my sig about the abs lights.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, autozone will be skipped, but again, why wont the peake tool work? Is that what they use at autozone? From reading the description on their website it seems like it will do the trick. It reads the BMW factory codes and not the OBDII codes. Is there something that I am missing? Is there a different code reading interface for the DME? Thanks

·
Registered
996 Posts
See quote below yours, that should have been your first response.

Correct, and this should have been the first answer in this thread. People on this forum are retarded and try to diagnose cars by throwing parts at them and always saying wheel speed sensor. Speed sensors on these cars dont go bad all that often. Get the codes pulled and see what is actually wrong with the car. If you want more info click the link in my sig about the abs lights.
Sorry...speaking from experience in my reply. GFYS

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I had this intermittent problem before on my first e46 an 01 325i
Although the EML icon wouldn't always light up when it did happen, I would occasionally see it with the other two (DSC and Brake light)

My problem was diagnosed as a bad DSC Module....not cheap, hopefully it's something else.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Ok, autozone will be skipped, but again, why wont the peake tool work? Is that what they use at autozone? From reading the description on their website it seems like it will do the trick. It reads the BMW factory codes and not the OBDII codes. Is there something that I am missing? Is there a different code reading interface for the DME? Thanks
The Peake tools only read the BMW specific OBDII codes for the emissions system. (check engine/SES lights) They do not have a tool to read, IHKA, transmission, ABS, DSC etc BMW systems.

You need BMW specific software like a GT1, DIS, INPA to read the codes form the non emissions BMW systems. AutoEnginuity software will read all the codes from all the systems / devices installed on your car.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The Peake tools only read the BMW specific OBDII codes for the emissions system. (check engine/SES lights) They do not have a tool to read, IHKA, transmission, ABS, DSC etc BMW systems.

You need BMW specific software like a GT1, DIS, INPA to read the codes form the non emissions BMW systems. AutoEnginuity software will read all the codes from all the systems / devices installed on your car.
Autoengenuity will read all the systems, but only with the BMW enhanced package. This costs another 225+ on top of the base software. Total is close to 500. I like this software, but the big downside to the autoengenuity software is that it does not program any modules. It will however cycle the ABS pump which comes in handy for bleeding brakes properly.

-_D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good answers here guys, I appreciate the help. I have an SES light on, so the peake tool will help me with that atleast. When it ships to my house I will read the code and get back to you. I am very very curious to find out what is going on. There are so many possibilities! (Fingers crossed for a simple TPS/Potentiometer issue) I hope I don't have to replace the DSC module. I had battery and alternator problems back in January both of which I had replaced at a BMW dealership(I know I know $$$). I don't know how sensitive the electrical components are, but maybe the total loss of power caused some issues. :dunno: I felt the sting of BMW service prices, which is why I am going to just do it myself. I have access to another car, so I can take my time. Again I appreciate all the help!

Also, thanks for the info on the tools. I had a lot of confusion about what to get if I need to dig deeper than the SES light. The AutoEnginuity software sound promising since it can read all the codes from all the systems. The GT1 seems a little too powerful for what I need here. Can someone give me an example of why I would need to program modules with the GT1 for maintenance in general? It sounds pretty interesting.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Good answers here guys, I appreciate the help. I have an SES light on, so the peake tool will help me with that atleast. When it ships to my house I will read the code and get back to you. I am very very curious to find out what is going on. There are so many possibilities! (Fingers crossed for a simple TPS/Potentiometer issue) I hope I don't have to replace the DSC module. I had battery and alternator problems back in January both of which I had replaced at a BMW dealership(I know I know $$$). I don't know how sensitive the electrical components are, but maybe the total loss of power caused some issues. :dunno: I felt the sting of BMW service prices, which is why I am going to just do it myself. I have access to another car, so I can take my time. Again I appreciate all the help!

Also, thanks for the info on the tools. I had a lot of confusion about what to get if I need to dig deeper than the SES light. The AutoEnginuity software sound promising since it can read all the codes from all the systems. The GT1 seems a little too powerful for what I need here. Can someone give me an example of why I would need to program modules with the GT1 for maintenance in general? It sounds pretty interesting.
Well for general maintenance/diy you would not need to program any components. When certain components fail however, like the DSC module, it needs to be coded to the car. Autoengenuity can't do any programming which is a bummer for serious DIY'ers but you can get PASoft (650) which can do a fair bit of programming. If you went the illegal (and much cheaper) route you can get knockoffs of PASoft and get GT1, INPA--a lot has been written about setting it up. I have chosen to fork over the cash however, and go the legal route.

While the Peake tool is somewhat useful in diagnosing SES light conditions, it cannot read the codes from many of the other subsystems, including the ABS/DSC stuff. So you will be left in the dark regarding ABS/DSC issues.

Unless you invest some serious time and/or money (and still you may not be able to solve anything), you are better off going to a good indy to get the codes read and have them perform some diagnostics. I just noticed that you are in Fairfax? I work in the area...PM me if you like and I'll read the codes for you.

--D

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Well for general maintenance/diy you would not need to program any components. When certain components fail however, like the DSC module, it needs to be coded to the car. Autoengenuity can't do any programming which is a bummer for serious DIY'ers but you can get PASoft (650) which can do a fair bit of programming. If you went the illegal (and much cheaper) route you can get knockoffs of PASoft and get GT1, INPA--a lot has been written about setting it up. I have chosen to fork over the cash however, and go the legal route.

While the Peake tool is somewhat useful in diagnosing SES light conditions, it cannot read the codes from many of the other subsystems, including the ABS/DSC stuff. So you will be left in the dark regarding ABS/DSC issues.

Unless you invest some serious time and/or money (and still you may not be able to solve anything), you are better off going to a good indy to get the codes read and have them perform some diagnostics. I just noticed that you are in Fairfax? I work in the area...PM me if you like and I'll read the codes for you.

--D
I applaud you for going the legal route and paying the developer for his time! :)

I have heard it is a nice software package how do you like it so far?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

--D
PMed, Thank you, sir! :thumbsup: I don't feel like guessing and throwing parts at it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I applaud you for going the legal route and paying the developer for his time! :)

I have heard it is a nice software package how do you like it so far?
Haha yes well this is an issue near and dear to me as I make a living writing software :) Though I can understand why people go the illegal route, I know first hand the thought and time that go into nicely (and even poorly) designed software programs.

Are you asking about PASoft or AE?

I do have both and the combination is quite good considering the price for the factory alternative or autologic. With AE the downside is that you can not do any sort of programming and there are a few issues with the GUI and layout that I would personally change if I were writing the software myself.

I have PASoft 1.4 and like it quite a lot. The layout is very simple (which I personally prefer), and it is very fast. There are some downsides however--for example when I installed a new DSC unit the procedure to code the new one is simply to read the info from the old unit, save the file, and write that same file to the new DSC unit. But what if the old DSC unit is so damaged you can not read from it? Or in my case, the coding on the new unit was slightly different than the old one..requiring Alex from PASoft to modify the file slightly so that the new unit would accept it. Their support was great and Alex always responded promptly to my email. For a pro like yourself it is well worth the cost, as it may have some programming features not available with the alternatives. For casual DIYers, it does not make (financial) sense to get more than AE with BMW support.

Of course if I did everything according to what makes perfect financial sense my workshop would not exist. When people say to me, "Wow you must really save a lot by fixing all that stuff yourself!" I just kindof chuckle knowing that I could have purchased a new 335 for what all of my tools cost :)

--D

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Yea I was just curious how it worked. We have ISTA and Autologic here for BMW service. Sounds like a nice backup tool

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey guys, read the codes with a peake reader. I am going to work with Draja to get codes from the EML/SES secondary systems soon. But until then here are the peake codes

1b table

E6 - Drive-by-wire throttle position failure
78 - Throttle position sensors, cross check
76 - Throttle Position sensor 1
77 - Throttle Position sensor 2
79 - Throttle position sensors, both bad

In that order.

So this seems pretty clear what the problem is.

So I have a few questions

1. Is this enough information, or should I get more codes read?
2. Which ones are TPS 1 and 2? Are one of these the Potentiometer(Pedal):hmm:

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Hey guys, read the codes with a peake reader. I am going to work with Draja to get codes from the EML/SES secondary systems soon. But until then here are the peake codes

1b table

E6 - Drive-by-wire throttle position failure
78 - Throttle position sensors, cross check
76 - Throttle Position sensor 1
77 - Throttle Position sensor 2
79 - Throttle position sensors, both bad

In that order.

So this seems pretty clear what the problem is.

So I have a few questions

1. Is this enough information, or should I get more codes read?
2. Which ones are TPS 1 and 2? Are one of these the Potentiometer(Pedal):hmm:
OMFG!!! Its not a wheel speed sensor like everyone on this website thinks?!?

But on a serious note OP, usually with those codes, you probably need a throttle body, but could also be a harness. Usually its the the TB though. I've never seen an e46 need a pedal assembly and i've never sold one at work.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
OMFG!!! Its not a wheel speed sensor like everyone on this website thinks?!?

But on a serious note OP, usually with those codes, you probably need a throttle body, but could also be a harness. Usually its the the TB though. I've never seen an e46 need a pedal assembly and i've never sold one at work.
I thinbk his is a E46 m3, so I doubt the throttle actuator failed. He should do a TPS sweep test with an Ossicloscpe

1 - 20 of 30 Posts