BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving my 99 323i today and everything was fine. After a 5 minute stop to drop someone off, I started the car and noticed a humming sound coming from the A/C vents. Thought "That's weird", and was playing with the fan control to see if I could get rid of it. As I pulled out, I noticed the engine was lethargic, and then noticed the EML and Traction control lights were on! My check engine light was already on because of a faulty thermostat which I just had diagnosed, but not repaired, but for all I know, that light may as well have come on, too. I shut off the car and restarted, and problem did not go away. I put the car in neutral (it's automatic) and reved the engine a bit to see if it was the engine or transmission, and it appears to be the engine. Very poor throttle response, and the whole car shakes when revving.

Unfortunately, this board won't allow me to search on words like ABS, EML, etc. because they are too short. Does anyone have any ideas? I checked Google, and came across another BMW forum where they said it was the throttle body, but that was on a "Compact" 2.0L engine (whatever that is). Also, I've seen some reference to throttle reset, but I don't want to try it if it will cause problems if my throttle body is malfunctioning in the first place. I'd call the stealership, but my car's out of warranty.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Problem gone for now?

The car seems fine now, after being parked for about two hours. The temp here is around 10 degrees Celcius. It started up fine, and I drove it for 10 minutes then parked it for half an hour while I went shopping. The car started up and ran fine again, and all symptoms are gone (no EML or Traction Control lights).

I don't know if this is related, but I have similar ongoing problem with both this car and my '98 740i - if the car has been parked for a while, and the engine is cold, if I start it up and only run it for a minute or so and shut it off, the next morning the car will sometimes start with a very rough idle, to the point of shaking the entire car. No EML or any other lights, though. And if I shut it off and start it up again, it's usually fine the second or third try. This usually happens when I have the car parked outside all day and then move it into the garage at night. I'm guessing it has something to do with the richness of the fuel during a cold start, and that something gets left behind between the injectors and the valves so that the mixture is extra rich the next cold start. I've worked around it by always letting the car run for at least 5 minutes before shutting it off from a cold start, longer if the weather is cold.

I'm going to keep an eye on this and see if I can get the ODB scanned to see if trouble codes arose from this. In the meantime, I'd still be interested in hearing from anyone else who's experienced this problem, or anyone's thoughts.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it's been a month now, and the problem has not reoccurred. Someone just sent me a PM saying they had the same problem with their car, so I know I'm not the only one. Anyone have any ideas? I'd like to identify this before it happens again and potentially strands me, especially now that we're entering freezing temps. Roadside assistance stil takes at least 45 mintues, nad more like 2 hours during peak traffic hours, which is the only time I drive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
same problem

I have been experiencing the same thing for over a week now. EML and traction control lights on, loss of power and violent shaking especially when in first and second gear between 1000-2000 rpm. Car will not go over 57 mph. Feels exactly like it has a governor or something. Tried to avod going to dealer. Other BMW shop said prob was throttle body. They ordered part but couldn't program it so it wound up at the dealer anyway. $650 later after throttle installed dealer tells me problem still occuring, O2 sensors + thermostat triggering faults. They want $295 for thermo and $512 for O2. I say no thanks, I'll take my car back, order and install O2 sensors X4 myself for $400 and problem still occuring. Sometimes lights will go off and symptoms will go away completely for a few minutes only to return. Anyone have ideas? Could this be caused by a bad thermostat? I would not have thought so but don't know what to try next. Picked up new plugs and fuel filter just to give those a shot.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My car overheated a few weeks ago because of a bad thermostat. After the dealership replaced it (and the coolant expansion tank, which cracked), they told me the car wasn't driveable because of the check engine, EML, traction, , limp mode, etc. This time, it didn't go away after parking it for a few hours (or overnight for that matter). Their scans showed it was the throttle body, but this time they said it was a "hard" fault that they couldn't reset without replacing the part. After replacing the part, the car is now fine. If you've replaced yours, you might want to check the wiring harness, or the idel control valve, which I have heard can also cause the problem. But these should show up under the dealer's scan.

dlta10 said:
I have been experiencing the same thing for over a week now. EML and traction control lights on, loss of power and violent shaking especially when in first and second gear between 1000-2000 rpm. Car will not go over 57 mph. Feels exactly like it has a governor or something. Tried to avod going to dealer. Other BMW shop said prob was throttle body. They ordered part but couldn't program it so it wound up at the dealer anyway. $650 later after throttle installed dealer tells me problem still occuring, O2 sensors + thermostat triggering faults. They want $295 for thermo and $512 for O2. I say no thanks, I'll take my car back, order and install O2 sensors X4 myself for $400 and problem still occuring. Sometimes lights will go off and symptoms will go away completely for a few minutes only to return. Anyone have ideas? Could this be caused by a bad thermostat? I would not have thought so but don't know what to try next. Picked up new plugs and fuel filter just to give those a shot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts