E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003/08 330i
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 330i a while ago and have been trying to get it emissions ready. I had a nagging P0011 code, which was remedied by cleaning out the VANOS solenoids and a new inlet CPS. I'm stilling having trouble getting either exhaust or O2 sensors ready. I only need 1 of them to set to satisfy Colorado emissions. Both pre and post cat sensors are new. I've double checked the connections to make sure I haven't crossed sensors.

From reading jfoj's threads, I checked the coolant temperature and it is low, at 84C. I had driven the car about 20 miles in hot weather at that point and was parked in my garage. If anything, it should have been higher than 96C. When I bought the car, I was told it had a new thermostat. Maybe it's gone bad already? I guess a thermostat job is next in line.

In terms of continuous monitors, I've only driven it the 20 miles, but I could only get the misfire monitor to clear. Neither fuel system or component monitors went green. Is that normal?

I have a couple of non MIL/SES light triggering codes related to oil level sensor and and oil pressure switches. My running voltage is a little low at 13.9V. Would any of these be affecting my ability to be emissions ready, also?

(There's also a 10142 error for the Exhaust flap control. The ground from the DME for the exhaust flap is borked. The exhaust flap I've actually got a separate controller tapped into the Tach, so the flap works, but the DME still freaks out about it. I'm fairly certain this has no effect on emissions readiness.)

Thanks for any comments and things to try.

·
Registered
2003/08 330i
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Just idled until the engine was warm again. It's a manual swap, so it has the front of engine thermostat... and a expansion tank mounted thermostat?

So I just realized I might have been reading the wrong data. Kuhlmittel is coolant temp. The Kuhlerausgang is output sensor of the coolant (tank). 96C there looks normal, no?

Here in Denver right now it's 30inHg, which google tells me is 1015hPa. So it seems the DME is giving a low pressure!

·
Registered
2003/08 330i
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the next test is to get TestO setup, then apply specific, constant levels of pressure to the pressure sensor and monitor MAF, rpm, fuel trims, pre cat O2 and post cat O2?

I think to take out the rate of change aspect, I'll try to find a way to get a constant pressure on the sensor. Leaf blower? Vaccum cleaner motor powered by voltage controlled power supply?

·
Registered
2003/08 330i
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, I'll pull that together next time I'm working on it. I've got a long vacation coming up and doing a refresh on my camper rig, for vacation!

·
Registered
2003/08 330i
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@NZ00Z3 Here you go! I had a failed Water Valve that I replaced and maybe I introduced air into the system? Coolant temp (Kuehlmitteltemperatur) is much higher than 96C. Water valve wasn't the issue, so it might be a climate control unit issue. I've also got a nagging P0011 issue that I'm trying to resolve with a Vanos services as well as a new solenoid. CPS already replaced.

Current pressure is 1024 hPa.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts