E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003/08 330i
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 330i a while ago and have been trying to get it emissions ready. I had a nagging P0011 code, which was remedied by cleaning out the VANOS solenoids and a new inlet CPS. I'm stilling having trouble getting either exhaust or O2 sensors ready. I only need 1 of them to set to satisfy Colorado emissions. Both pre and post cat sensors are new. I've double checked the connections to make sure I haven't crossed sensors.

From reading jfoj's threads, I checked the coolant temperature and it is low, at 84C. I had driven the car about 20 miles in hot weather at that point and was parked in my garage. If anything, it should have been higher than 96C. When I bought the car, I was told it had a new thermostat. Maybe it's gone bad already? I guess a thermostat job is next in line.

In terms of continuous monitors, I've only driven it the 20 miles, but I could only get the misfire monitor to clear. Neither fuel system or component monitors went green. Is that normal?

I have a couple of non MIL/SES light triggering codes related to oil level sensor and and oil pressure switches. My running voltage is a little low at 13.9V. Would any of these be affecting my ability to be emissions ready, also?

(There's also a 10142 error for the Exhaust flap control. The ground from the DME for the exhaust flap is borked. The exhaust flap I've actually got a separate controller tapped into the Tach, so the flap works, but the DME still freaks out about it. I'm fairly certain this has no effect on emissions readiness.)

Thanks for any comments and things to try.

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
12,293 Posts
A soft failing thermostat will hold back the various cat/O2 monitors.
And with the newest generation cars is a real problem if 2 deg too cold.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
I agree with MrMCar. Start with a t-stat. Then start your emissions readiness quest with a cold start idle with loads. Let it sit over night or all day while you work before doing this. Then start the engine, turn on headlights, rear defrost, AC, etc and let the car idle for around 3 minutes, then drive. Catalyst and O2 monitor likes to see a steady highway cruise for at least 10 min. Some like an off throttle, no brake deceleration from 50 mph to around 20 mph. Each manufacturer has their specific "drive cycle," but they're all pretty similar. That cold start loaded idle really helps jump start things by setting SAP and O2 heaters.

·
Premium Member
2000 E46 323i, 3.0L, 2.8L and 2.0L Z3's
2,114 Posts
Man, your post has got me excited. Thank you for posting the photo of the Measurement Block 1 data. It's just the information I've been looking for. More on that later.

Yes, your engine is running cold. Do you have an automatic transmission? If so, the thermostat that is faulty could be the Automatic transmission thermostat in the bottom of the expansion tank. If the main engine thermostat has been replaced and it has not fixed the problem, then the automatic thermostat would be your next point of call.

Back to that Measuring Block 1 photo.
I've been working on a number of "Unexplained Rich Running" cases on E46's with the MS45 DME. I think the barometric sensor on the DME PC board is faulty (reading low) and causing the problem.

Your photo of Measurement Block 1 shows:
  • That INPA reports the Baro sensor value "umgebungsdruck" in the MS45 DME. I haven't been able to test this.
  • That your Baro value is likely low at 862.2 hPa. That's a really super low winter value and you're in summer and taking about driving in hot weather. Your Baro should be above 1010 hPa.
Could you please do a bit of testing for me?
Please provide:
  • The ambient air pressure in your area (weather forecast, airport data, Met Service etc) and the Baro pressure in your DME on that same day.
  • With a hot engine at idle, the 4 fuel trims (integrator and Multipilcative for each bank).

·
Registered
2003/08 330i
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Just idled until the engine was warm again. It's a manual swap, so it has the front of engine thermostat... and a expansion tank mounted thermostat?

So I just realized I might have been reading the wrong data. Kuhlmittel is coolant temp. The Kuhlerausgang is output sensor of the coolant (tank). 96C there looks normal, no?

Here in Denver right now it's 30inHg, which google tells me is 1015hPa. So it seems the DME is giving a low pressure!

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
Thank you for the data.

Well that is very interesting. Total fuel trims running in -2.5% to -2.8% rich at hot idle, engine up to temp and a Baro difference of 187.7 kPa = 1,6500m (4,800 ft) in higher altitude.

If you are running E10 fuel, your normal total fuel trim operating range is 0.5% to 8.5%. The engine is running rich at idle, but not running too rich, but is following the trends I'm, expecting.

Here is my thread on the topic: Barometric Pressure?

·
Registered
2003/08 330i
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the next test is to get TestO setup, then apply specific, constant levels of pressure to the pressure sensor and monitor MAF, rpm, fuel trims, pre cat O2 and post cat O2?

I think to take out the rate of change aspect, I'll try to find a way to get a constant pressure on the sensor. Leaf blower? Vaccum cleaner motor powered by voltage controlled power supply?

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
If the rich fuel trims at idle are not giving you any problems, then don't worry about it. The other E46 DME MS45's I'm working with have -10% to -15% rich total fuel trims and are getting misfires and performance problems. Just be aware of it.

What would be interesting, is to get a set of the 3 standard OBD Fusion logs and a Rev-Rise log to see how they compare to the logs of the other E46's. You may already have a OBD2 dongle/adapter. The cost of OBD Fusion is cheap.

If you are really super keen to do TestO, then I can give you a list of PID's to log. You could increase the Baro pressure to see if it improves the total fuel trims. Or, you could reduce the Baro pressure to see what happens. I agree, don't worry about the rate of change part.

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
Had a thought in the middle of the night. The MS45 DMe has 4? measurement blocks. Could you please post a screenshot of all the measurement blocks with the engine at hot idle. This will give me a record of the data that is available plus I'm interested in your MAF values, both in kg/hour and volts.

·
Registered
2003/08 330i
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, I'll pull that together next time I'm working on it. I've got a long vacation coming up and doing a refresh on my camper rig, for vacation!

·
Registered
2003/08 330i
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@NZ00Z3 Here you go! I had a failed Water Valve that I replaced and maybe I introduced air into the system? Coolant temp (Kuehlmitteltemperatur) is much higher than 96C. Water valve wasn't the issue, so it might be a climate control unit issue. I've also got a nagging P0011 issue that I'm trying to resolve with a Vanos services as well as a new solenoid. CPS already replaced.

Current pressure is 1024 hPa.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts