BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all-

So, I have had intermittent locking issues for a short while now. After some reading today, it seems ,my GM5 is the issue.

Well, at the grocery stoor, the car REFUSES to open. Also, trying to open it with the key-the "knob" is only "half" way up and will not go up any more. As of now, I cant get into my car!! the Truck opens with no issues, and I can hear it try to do "something" when I hit the lock, or unlock button.

Is there any way to open the locks without the key? Any suggestions?! As of right now, my car is left beached at the stoor.

·
Registered
26,412 Posts
Use advanced search and in the title search for "key trunk" and you'll do the opposite!

Don't lock your trunk just to be safe!

I doubt that disconnecting your battery would work, but it might...and when you reconnect it, the car might automatically unlock.

Otherwise, you're in a great position to build a ski pass. If you have one, just push it in, lure a small child into car with candy or something, and pull the handle, maybe twice.

If there's a hole in that skipass panel, maybe you could get a stick through to the handle with a hook on it?

Good luck!

·
Registered
26,412 Posts
Can you wind down your windows remotely with the key? If so... climb through the window?
Hmmm? Use the key fob to lock and then when using unlock, hit it twice and keep holding it the second time.

If the window does open, just try the handle first...otherwise climbing in should work!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To answer many questions-

I could roll all my windows down with the key in the door, but now, when I tried it felt like the mechanism inside the door may have broken. Now, the key feels like it is "freewheeling" in the cylinder. Thats out. Is there a way to do this with the FOB? EDIT- just read the suggestion with the "unlock" button. Lets start praying now!!

As for the battery- I will be trying that when I visit the car tomorrow.

As for the rear seats-I pulled the carpet-and it looks like a steel back-plate behind the seats (IE, no go) but I will look again. I will also investigate the ski pass.

And Tai I will check for that link-thanks!

·
Registered
609 Posts
This exact locking/unlocking sounds being heard, but sometimes not unlocking is happening to my car now. But has been an intermittent problem for almost 3 months now..

And same thing, where the trunk is having no issues at all opening.

I still have not been able to figure out the problem, but every once in a while when the problem came up, I would lock, unlock, lock, unlock many times, then eventually it would open. If it didn't, I would end up using my key to unlock the door.

I found out my button to unlock the doors which is next to my hazard button was spilled through many times with soda, coffee, etc. So cleaning the button, cleaning the insides of it, and refreshing it, the problem seemed to go away for a while. But recently had the problem come back.

Maybe the button is going out again?

Check your button, to see if it's still working properly..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tripe A? LOL. The guy that would come out would be less of a mechanic than I am. TRUST me. They are only good for 4 free tows a year, and cheap hotel rooms.

This exact locking/unlocking sounds being heard, but sometimes not unlocking is happening to my car now. But has been an intermittent problem for almost 3 months now..

And same thing, where the trunk is having no issues at all opening.

I still have not been able to figure out the problem, but every once in a while when the problem came up, I would lock, unlock, lock, unlock many times, then eventually it would open. If it didn't, I would end up using my key to unlock the door.

I found out my button to unlock the doors which is next to my hazard button was spilled through many times with soda, coffee, etc. So cleaning the button, cleaning the insides of it, and refreshing it, the problem seemed to go away for a while. But recently had the problem come back.

Maybe the button is going out again?

Check your button, to see if it's still working properly..
Dont end up like me and REPLACE YOUR GM5. As for the manual door lock, as stated I seem to have broken the mechanism trying to open it. I will see what happens when I unhook the battery tomorrow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts