E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to this forum. I have a 2000 323ci Auto with 122,000 miles on it. I am getting a wierd front end noise. It happens when I go over speed bumps and driving on uneven roads that make the suspension flex. Its like a wooden door creak. I also get it sometimes when I turn left into a parking spot. Its only on left turns.

Parts I have changed:
Front control arms (Ball joints)
FCAB
Sway Bar End links
Strut Mounts
Struts

The only other parts left are sway bar bushings and tie rods. My tie rods seem pretty solid as well as my sway bar bushings. I've been chasing this noise for a few months now. Are there any other ideas? Also, when changing the struts, I reused the bump stoppers. Could this cause the noise.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the same noise, speed bumps, potholes, bad roads.... I also belive are the bump stoppers, but my struts and shocks are blown too. I am in the process of replacing them this week. The sound is def. the bump stoppers. Maybe, others might have a better insight... but don't new struts come with new bump stops? Last time that swaped the shocks, they came with new bumps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I replaced my struts with aftermarket ones. So they didn't have the bump stops. Do you have to remove the struts to replace the bump stops?

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
27,000 Posts
For some reason that vaguely reminds me of a sound I'd had in my E36 and someone said it was the protective sleeve over the shock...don't think the bump stop itself...there's another plastic tube...I think that squeaks.

Try shooting some wd40 up there. If that doesn't do it, you might systematically start spraying things with lube of some sort...silicone spray on all the bushings you can spray onto...one set a day until you find the squeak.

Oh, you know what else it could be? The e-brake supposedly squeaks a lot. Search for that squeak...it 'goes off' from just sitting in the car; it'd certainly happen from driving it too!

Might be sway bar supports...very easy to squirt if you want. I just replaced mine and didn't think to bother...but I can tell you that although the original was dried out after 195K miles...it wasn't nasty at all...just a little less resiliant than the new support. Very heavy duty thing, so maybe that little difference in resiliency makes a difference. Very easy going on without tie rod ends...probably manageable with...but I took them off one at a time so their position didn't change...though it probably does anyway naturally, huh?

Doug

·
Premium Member
15,378 Posts
mine does it when i turn left, been doing it for a few months now, i havent really looked into it, as i figure its the tie rod, or sway.
its def metal on rubber.
and mine started right after i replaced a tie rod and got an alignment. :dunno:

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
27,000 Posts
Nina,

I actually didn't do the shocks myself, so I'm not absolutely positive, but I'm 99% positive that you do have to remove shock to replace sleeve. as it's a cylinder that fits over shock...but there is a chance I'm wrong...just not a big one!

Try squirting lube of some sort up around sleeve and see if that quiets things down. Also, look into e-brake. Might be a reason why it squeaks more when turning one way than another...maybe one side e-brake is slightly misaligned?

Doug

1 - 7 of 7 Posts