E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to BMW's documentation, to reset the throttle adaptation you do the following:

With the car off, turn the ignition to the on position for 10 seconds(do not start) then turn the ignition off for 10 seconds. Then start the car. You should notice slightly improved performance if you normally drive miss daisy.

I have also been told that disconnecting the battery ground for 20 seconds will reset the short term ECU memory but I can't validate that with BMW doco. These steps are necessary if testing or installing new modifications to be able to determine true performance.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Thanks for the tip!

Hey Kevin...thanks for the info. :D I've been thinking that my throttle response deterioriated somewhat after installing my GruppeM and UUC TSExhaust. So I though I'd give both of you're suggestions a try this afternoon. All I can say is...WOW! I didn't really believe it would make such a difference!!! Throttle response is definitely better now! :thumbup:

Keep feeding us these great tips and suggestions :bow:

·
Registered
773 Posts
Great tip!! I'm gonna try that one

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Thanks for the tip!

At first I thought the adaptation reset didn't do anything until I got out on the highway this morning. Yeah it worked. I could see and feel spikes in the RPM band. Mostly in the mid and high RPM's. I'm sure the lower RPM's are improved but harder to tell.

Banker said:
Hey Kevin...thanks for the info. :D I've been thinking that my throttle response deterioriated somewhat after installing my GruppeM and UUC TSExhaust. So I though I'd give both of you're suggestions a try this afternoon. All I can say is...WOW! I didn't really believe it would make such a difference!!! Throttle response is definitely better now! :thumbup:

Keep feeding us these great tips and suggestions :bow:

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It might be the cooler temps but I spiked at 6500 RPM this morning

I was shocked, I spiked my redline at 6500 which is the engine max! My car was pulling hard in sport mode on my steptronic akin to when I had my mass air sensor screens off (very close except not as much low end). I tried regular automatic mode and it was fast as hell yesterday unlike it's normal sluggishness. Definitely adaptation reset works and my car is performing better throughout the RPM band. Mostly in the mid and upper RPM.s. I wonder if Dinan is just turning off adaptation or just toning it down? That would suck it that's all their chip does.

·
• DFW •
1,962 Posts
good tip! need to go and try this!

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would hope so!

I would imagine that they are adjusting the fuel/air ratio and spark advance maps. I would imagine that the throttle adaptation still exists.

ari00 said:
guys will this have the same effect if i already have the dinan software?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm sorry, but I came in late into this discussion... If I am interpreting correctly what I am reading, are you saying that the onboard computer is adjusting the throttle response based on how we drive? And thus, if you want better throttle response, perform the 10 second thing as stated above, this will reset the throttle response, and if you then drive with a heavy foot from that point forward, the car will react to this and provide better response? Just wondering, because if that's true, I'm going out to my car right now!

·
Registered
773 Posts
I also did the 10 second thing and I also noticed some difference.. If the car really got faster??? Maybe.. It feels quicker and it reacts more aggresive to the gas.. the butdyno thinks its faster anyway and that's what counts..

Thanks for this great tip..

One problem though... I do the 10 second thing now almost every morning before I start the car because I want the car to be fast always!!! :D :bow:

·
moderation in all things
877 Posts
KevinJ_2k1_325ci said:
According to BMW's documentation, to reset the throttle adaptation you do the following:

With the car off, turn the ignition to the on position for 10 seconds(do not start) then turn the ignition off for 10 seconds. Then start the car. You should notice slightly improved performance if you normally drive miss daisy.

I have also been told that disconnecting the battery ground for 20 seconds will reset the short term ECU memory but I can't validate that with BMW doco. These steps are necessary if testing or installing new modifications to be able to determine true performance.
i've gotta try this!!!

but when you say "turn the ignition off" what position is that? completely off?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Excellent info! I can't wait to give it a try. I spend a lot of time cruising along the hwy. in traffic or just to/from work putzing around at about 2-4k RPM, so I'm sure it's mapped my fuel intake for a soccer mom. :mad: :tsk: I'll play with it next time I take the car out. :thumbup:

·
Registered
920 Posts
Salvator said:
I'm sorry, but I came in late into this discussion... If I am interpreting correctly what I am reading, are you saying that the onboard computer is adjusting the throttle response based on how we drive? And thus, if you want better throttle response, perform the 10 second thing as stated above, this will reset the throttle response, and if you then drive with a heavy foot from that point forward, the car will react to this and provide better response? Just wondering, because if that's true, I'm going out to my car right now!
yes that is true...its true for all obdII ecu....but just different ways to reset it for different cars...like for my old prelude...i had to take out the clock fuse from the fuse box and it would temporarily reset everything:thumbup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does it work in 5spd?

I think it only works in Steptronic, coz I do not think 5 spd has the electronic adaptive throttle contol. Could someone verify this. Thanks!:huh:

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
It's just throttle response... and i imagine if u drive with a heavy foot it would adapt as such...no need to do it every morning lol...

·
frequent tire purchaser
635 Posts
Re: Does it work in 5spd?

spd said:
I think it only works in Steptronic, coz I do not think 5 spd has the electronic adaptive throttle contol. Could someone verify this. Thanks!:huh:
I'll verify it. I tried it before I left work yesterday and then mildly drove home, but when I left again later and started mashin' I absolutely noticed a difference.

Great Tip!!:thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Re: Re: Does it work in 5spd?

THis should work on all cars with electronic throttle control meaning some later 323 and 328's as well as all 325 and 330's.

I believe 323/328's that were built 10/00-12/00 will have electronic throttle control or what is called "throttle by wire". It is with this new electronic throttle that these 323/328's got the new mototronics that this will work with.

For the old models meaning prior to 10/00, I've been told that you can try turning your ingnition to the on position (not started) and press the gas peddle all the way to the floor 4 times, then you will hear a beep or something and that tells you it worked.

sullyz said:

I'll verify it. I tried it before I left work yesterday and then mildly drove home, but when I left again later and started mashin' I absolutely noticed a difference.

Great Tip!!:thumbup: :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 216 Posts