E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've measured and shifted things around and planned but there isn't any way that I can get a decent amp into the same spot as the OEM amp. That's after I install the CD changer brackets and crap. :yikes:

So, I've made a tactical decision - keep the OEM amp! Ok, ok, ok - you're all probably saying to yourselves, "Jeeesh, what a wimp. He doesn't want to rip up his trunk. Man, what looser!" Ok, guilty on all counts!

Here's the situation:
Front speakers - Diamond Hex S600s
Rear speakers - Infinity Kappa Perfects
Both sets of speakers come with their own crossovers.

Problem:
Can I combine the audio signals for a particular set of speakers ( say, the left front speaker) from the OEM amp as a single input into the crossover for that set of speakers?

I realize there are impedence issues - decreasing the amp's output impedence seen by each crossover. Anyother issues? :bow:

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I share your space issues! You aren't a wimp, you are looking to keep your trunk.

As for combining two outputs from the amp, I really wouldn't recommend it. The factory amp produces separately amplified outputs for each channel (active signal dividing, not passive) and I believe you'll be playing with fire (or large amounts of smoke in this case) if you do that. You'd be better off connecting the tweeter output right to your new tweeter and same for the woofer, but how do the impedances match up?

Also there is the issue of the lost bandwidth where the midrange is...

The only other thought is to use the rear amp outputs on your front speakers since they are two way (I know, sounds strange - just throwin' ideas out there).

How about mounting the amp underneath the shelf package? Do you have a sub box in there that would get in the way?

Mark

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Amp mounting problems

Mark,
Thanks for getting back to me. I figured that recombining the now-amplified signals would be a real problemo.

Right now I have the OEM amp driving the Diamonds + the OEM mid-ranges in the front and the Infinities in the rear. The sound is too bright (I thought by ordering the S600s [silk tweeters] I would dodge that bullet. Ha!) and lacks bass. I solved the latter problem - I'm installing an Infinity Basslink over the battery in the trunk. Luckily, the Basslink will accept speaker level inputs.

Mounting the amp under the package shelf: I did that in my last BMW ('85 325e) and I thought it looked................tacky. Plus, I think most amps are designed to be mounted horizontally or vertically. The problem with "upsidedown" mounting could be over heating. The amp in my old bimmer was a cheap alphasonic so I didn't care.

An alternate solution would be to extend the new CD changer carpeted cover so that I get about 15 inches (from the rear of the wheel well to the rear panel). I've googled and found little help on anyone who can build/create a formed/shaped carpet. You may have seen a previous thread of mine concerning this issue and I may end up customizing the new cover. Who noz!

Thanks!
Mark

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Hey Mark...

I'm with you on the "tacky" aspect. If I had to do it, I'd build a carpeted shroud to go over it (it would look like the panel the verts have to retain the top). Then a muffin fan could circulate air at low speed if you are concerned about heat.

Extending that panel sounds interesting - finding a good match to the trunk carpet material may be a challenge though. You could also have overheating issues with the amp being enclosed though, so you'd be back to square one.

Tweets bright? Yeah, I hear ya. I installed a 10 ohm resistor on each tweeter recently and it helped, but the staging is still too messed up. Actually next spring I want to try two things:

1. Move the tweeter down in the door inbetween the woofer and the mid. I picked up a pair of grills from the rear door tweets that will look stock. That should improve the stage and reduce the tweeter brightness.

2. Go with aftermarket amp and crossover setup on OEM speakers.

Mark

Edit: Alphasonik eh? Old school rules!

·
Registered
454 Posts
keeping the oem amp is okay. I kept the oem amp for the stock rear speakers. i mount my Phoenix Gold amp on a carpeted MDF upside-down under the rear deck. my gf and brother didn't even notice that i installed an amp there.
i have the DA S600silk and also tweeters in A-pillar position. and they are bright at first, but after some adjustment on eq, they are very good. there is surprising amount of midbass too. my legs could actually feel the midbass. :thumbup:

i suggest you use after-market amp for the DA speakers as they don't really perform their best until they get enough power.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello everyone! Awesome post....

@kwang125: You mentioned your OEM amp is driving the rear OEM speakers, what did you do with the amp speaker outputs for front speakers? Are you feeding speaker level or liune level to your Phoenix Gold amp driving your front speakers?

@Everyone:
I have the same mounting concerns... I do like pretty bright sound, having said that, what could I expect from connecting the HK OEM amp and replacing front and rear speakers with, say, Infinity Kappas 5.25 and 6.5 and respective tweeters front and rear?

Any suggestions on alternate speakers that may provide a good result keeping the OEM amp?

If bass is lacking I would consider slamming in a sub somehow under the tray, either modifying the HK 6x9 setup or replacing it entirely with a sub + enclosure under tray.

Thanks and take care

·
Registered
179 Posts
Why not dump the factory cd bracket and revert to the standard trunk panel. Mount the amp to an mdf board and put it behind the new carpeting. You can move the cd changer to under the rear deck where it will still be hidden and out of the way, and maybe even a little more convenient. there is plenty of space in the trunk if you get creative.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Canuck328i said:
Yeah, good point I forgot to add was a bit of EQ. Next year's setup will include a Alpine 3401 Parametric EQ.

Mark
oh.. i didn't buy any eq. the eq i was referring to is the HU eq. i also use the bass boost feature on the amp.

Alchemist753 said:
Hello everyone! Awesome post....

@kwang125: You mentioned your OEM amp is driving the rear OEM speakers, what did you do with the amp speaker outputs for front speakers? Are you feeding speaker level or liune level to your Phoenix Gold amp driving your front speakers?

Thanks and take care

i use signal input from the HU.

·
Registered
1 Posts
markusmark said:
Mark,
I'm installing an Infinity Basslink over the battery in the trunk. Luckily, the Basslink will accept speaker level inputs.

Mark

you mentioned that you installed the basslink over the battery. how did that work out and does it transmit the sound well to the front cabin?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts