BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2003 330i sedan. Looking for some help on this. I prefer to DIY than take it to a mechanic. So far I have been able to perform maintenance, repairs and all on my own, but if I can't get my car working properly again, I may just junk it.

So long story short, I noticed water dripping from my sun visor light. I put my hand down on the carpet and it is completely soaked. I fixed the sunroof leak issue but now im having electrical issues.

It had a code that said something about the ECU. Cant remember what it was. Went away after I disconnected battery.

Symptoms:
Part of the taillights stay on(no matter what which forces me to have battery disconnected while parked or itll die again).
Rear left signal stays on
Left marker signal stays on
Third brake light stays on
Hazard lights don't work
When stepping on brake, brake lights don't work/brighten
Sunroof sometimes opens/closes
Headlights dont go on
Fog lights dont go on
Left and right signaling doesn't work
Seatbelt light stays on with seatbelt clipped in

Everything else works. I didnt have any of these problems before.
What do you guys think? Any ideas where I can start? I checked all fuses in glove box and the ones under the hood. All fuses are good.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought I got it all but I'm going to rip it all up again and see if I missed anything. Hopefully I can get to it in the next few days. Forgot to mention that there was also an electrical smell

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
There are no codes that are getting thrown?? None of the modules are complaining?

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
The DME lives under the hood in a relatively well sealed box. The problem is the lighting control module (LKM in BMWspeak). That’s the control where you control the headlights, etc. It’s a computer. Pull it and see if you can open it. Likely something inside is toast. Go to www.realoem.com and enter the last 7 characters of your car’s VIN. Hit enter and bookmark the page. Scroll down to the vehicle electrical system. Scroll about 2/3 of the way down and click on switch unit, light to find the LKM that’s in your car. The LKM that’s in you car may have the BMW part #. The LKM also stores the car’s mileage. So, if you replace the LKM you’ll have to have it updated with the mileage or you’ll get a tamper dot in the gauge cluster.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There were no codes

And whoa! LCM it is. It looks like it blew up. Half of it is melted. It even damaged the connector. Idk how my car didn't go on fire.

I even had trouble pulling it out because of how mangled it is. Had to force it out. I guess the seatbelt is somehow connected to it also. Seatbelt light turns off after clipping in now like it should.

Yes I reconnected the battery and turned it on without the module then realized that may have been a bad idea. Did I just make it worse?

Thanks guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts