BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help...my seat went up and can't go back. I have a 2002 BMW 330CI convertible with electrical memory seats. My front driver seat stopped going back and forward. All other switches work fine. I tested the motor and it seems to work, I also replaced the Seat Memory Control module. Still doesn't work. The Seat Memory control module does "click" when I try the switch. I get the same click rather I used the side mounted switch by the bottom seat or the switch mounted on the side of the seat by the headrest. It did the same thing on the old module before I replaced it also. Any suggestions?????

·
/// Limitless
3,506 Posts
It more than likely is the motor. There is a possibility it is also wiring or switch but by this time in the cars life it's probably the motor.

I had mine go out last year and it just stopped working after I moved it all the way up. It wouldn't move at all. Bought a new motor and worked like a charm after I installed it.

You said you could hear a click. Is it actually the motor beginning to turn and then stopping or just the switch clicking?

The reason I ask; I also chased an electrical fault with the lumbar air bladder pump that wound up being a broken wire within the wire loom in the seat. You couldn't see that it was broken or nicked in any way from looking at the outside of the wiring loom. I had to unravel the wiring loom and found that the factory nicked the wire when they built the loom and it eventually failed. The wire would make just enough contact to start the motor turning and immediately stop. It had enough of a connection to show continuity but could not carry the electrical current load of the motor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply!!
The clicking is coming from Seat Control Module, not the motor. In fact, I was thinking the same thing as you so I took out the motor today and checked it with a separate battery and it ran fine.
UPDATE: You may think I am crazy but decided to put the seat back in and then I ran 2 wires from the blue & black wires going to the horizontal seat motor out from my seat. Then I hooked it up to the terminals of a spare battery. It worked PERFECT. My wife thought I was nuts when she came down to the garage and I asked her to put the wires on the spare battery posts so I could adjust my seat. So that eliminates the motor. As I said before I bought a used Seat control module from Ebay and that didn't seem to matter. It made the same clicking noise as my original one. I looked at the switch and according to my multimeter it seems to be working, but I don't know for sure. I am starting to think that maybe it is something like your problem with a loose wire. It did stop working right after I had the seat back tilted forward and then I put it back. Any idea.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Yeah.....
Mine wiring harness was broken in half in the area where the seat hinge is. I re soldered several wires back together and doubled the heat shrink over it. Then put it inside a wire loom guard. So far so good.
I also had the same problem exactly as you described and was caused by tilting the seat forward to let people in the back seat

1 - 4 of 4 Posts