BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have 2 16" Davies Craig e fans ill sell bought them for my 05 tundra before it got stolen. Sell them for $125 per, Jegs sells them for 175.

Did manual cars come with e fans, my 02 325i has e fan and it definitely looks factory. Maybe buy an oem fan for a car that came equipped.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
12,807 Posts
At first I just put a thermocouple on the little trans fluid heat exchanger that mounts to the radiator and ran its wires to a logger. Then later I made an adapter that fit an oil temp sensor into the lower (drain) plug on the trans and wired it up to an oil temp gauge.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I removed my mechanical fan and used just the aux (pusher) fan for several years and the operating temps of the coolant and transmission oil were the same before and after. Not saying others should do this, but it was an experiment I wanted to try and it worked out okay.
How did you read the temp of the transmission fluid?
At first I just put a thermocouple on the little trans fluid heat exchanger that mounts to the radiator and ran its wires to a logger. Then later I made an adapter that fit an oil temp sensor into the lower (drain) plug on the trans and wired it up to an oil temp gauge.
Nice, that's good to know. So are you still running only the aux/pusher fan or did you convert to the electric "puller" fan?

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,559 Posts
please post a phot of this.

·
Registered
2002 e46 320 sedan / sport package 2 / m54b22 / steptronic
126 Posts
those who have a problem on e46 with viscous coupling just buy a new one. a correctly working viscous is better then electric fan and i will not explain why and ofc most of you will never understand, you just follow stereotypes.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
those who have a problem on e46 with viscous coupling just buy a new one. a correctly working viscous is better then electric fan and i will not explain why and ofc most of you will never understand, you just follow stereotypes.

interesting post.. i am open minded about the fan clutch and i may understand..

just because bmw went all electric on later cars (e.g. z4 600w) doesn’t mean the mechanical fan was necessarily bad. bmw gets rid of lots of good stuff, just to save a few pennies.

also i’m afraid lots of people have installed underpowered electric fans to the detriment of the cooling system, particularly the automatic transmissions.

but i really don’t miss my behr fan clutch at all. maybe it was broken .. certainly it was in a tight space. i never could get that perfect bend in my fan clutch removal tool.

·
Registered
126 Posts
1) a good viscous do not put any unnessesery power train on the engine 2) viscous has better cooling 3) viscous system has additional electric fan to help it, so even in the middle of long highway if your viscous dies you will not even notice it 4) if you notice it means your electric fan is dead 5) if your hands are straight you can alway make viscous work for you 6) if electric fan dies you are done 7) viscous is not depended on 20 years old electric system witch goes apart ***x1f60e; even more i googled a lot on 3 different language forums and made a hybrid disition - my viscous engages at 95 celcius and never goes more then 1.5-1.8 k rpm, if i push it just looses grip - for safe usege when acceleration or when its under load.
i just made simple trick made it as loose as possible. sometimes electric fan egages but very reraly. i know ppl drive cars for 2-3 years with electric fan only vithout coupling.
7) and what makes you think alternator does not load the engine when the fan is on? we all know deep inside you cannot get energy from nowhere.
8) i can add some fluid any time i want - f.e. in summer if i need it. as bearing is in pefect condision.
9) on m54's temperatures are high and as friend mentioned above it is crucioal your electric fans to fork perfectly.
so you deside will you bue correct fluid and regulate it youself or pay a lot of money for oem electric fan system. ofc it should be new - one more con.
and the worst thing is ,,belevers'' just thing its a must to convert system like 90% think ,,hot air intake'' give them power ***x1f642;
sorry for english guys, no time, just write as it is.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
6) if electric fan dies you are done

7) viscous is not depended on 20 years old electric system witch goes apart
viscous engages at 95 celcius and never goes more then 1.5-1.8 k rpm, if i push it just looses grip - for safe usege when acceleration or when its under load.
9) on m54's temperatures are high and as friend mentioned above it is crucioal your electric fans to fork perfectly.
pay a lot of money for oem electric fan system. ofc it should be new - one more con.

good points. viscous/clutch does engage automatically. and i thought long and hard about #7 before going with an electric fan. these cars are famous for electrical problems.

the worst problem is actually the wiring. it’s very brittle copper, either manufacturing defect as mentioned by jfoj in another thread, or i also heard lower quality copper since the high quality stuff was going to china.

balidawg was right that my electrical system had gremlins. he noticed swinging voltage when updating the dme. so i made a point of checking/replacing the alternator first. but it took the advice of another mechanic here to find that the b+ red terminal box was melting. after replacing that i am back up to 14.1V at idle.

·
Registered
126 Posts
wfx32
actually i was quite angry when i writing post above.
i,m in vacation and while regulating fun in clutch 15 smart asses came and were making advices without even knowing how coupling works and to say the truth they don't even know what horse power is. in my city bmw is very popular and everyone is ,,expert'' ***x1f642;
i have electric cooling on my x3 btw and its very nice to have it.
deal is in reality you have 2 choices 1) if you buy viscous you must buy oem (or best aftermarket one) and pay a lot of money - others just wont do it right or 2) in same prise buy second hand electric fan ( most will no pay for new unit ) actually electric is cheaper to get.
i have both sets for my e46. maby i switch to electric for winter and go back to viscous (will make it a little harder to follow revs to 2k) in summer coz here is very hot and i cannot rely on swapped electric fan system works at 96-98 degrees celcius - its not a joke i tell you for this kind of shitty cooling system.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
deal is in reality you have 2 choices 1) if you buy viscous you must buy oem (or best aftermarket one) and pay a lot of money - others just wont do it right or 2) in same prise buy second hand electric fan ( most will no pay for new unit ) actually electric is cheaper to get.
i have both sets for my e46. maby i switch to electric for winter and go back to viscous (will make it a little harder to follow revs to 2k) in summer coz here is very hot and i cannot rely on swapped electric fan system works at 96-98 degrees celcius - its not a joke i tell you for this kind of shitty cooling system.
i agree completely. the cooling system is already a liability. it's very tempting for people to throw in an underpowered electric fan or a used fan with no warranty. very risky.

·
There I was, Sicily, 1918..
2,531 Posts
8) i can add some fluid any time i want - f.e. in summer if i need it. as bearing is in pefect condision.
You can?! I thought they were sealed... do you have pics or a procedure for this? Sounds great.
i agree completely. the cooling system is already a liability. it's very tempting for people to throw in an underpowered electric fan or a used fan with no warranty. very risky.
Yeah, that's my take -- I'd rather have a sometimes noisy fan than to NOT have cooling... my wife's old 318 only had an electric fan and when the switch died, the fan would not come on; the only time you know there's a problem is when the temp gauge jumps into the red (which it did -- only luck kept her from warping the head).

·
Registered
169 Posts
Er, this seems odd to me. The manuals had electric fans stock, which is the case on my ***8216;03. All e30 cars had viscous with an electric aux fan, which most of us long term owners switch out to a spal puller to run on high speed all the time during a/c operation or when the high temp sensor activates the aux fan. Originally, the aux elec fan on an e30 ran low speed during a/c operation and high when the high temp sensor was tripped.

However, in the few weeks ive had an e46, the electric fan has been wonderful, works as advertised and in 100º heat the a/c is cold and the temp gauge is perfectly at half signal. What***8217;s the problem? I obviously haven***8217;t had a failure yet but I imagine that it will be easy to notice and require immediate action. I suppose folks are concerned that they may have to stop driving when the engine gets hot? Hello, that***8217;s normal.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
What***8217;s the problem? I obviously haven***8217;t had a failure yet but I imagine that it will be easy to notice and require immediate action. I suppose folks are concerned that they may have to stop driving when the engine gets hot? Hello, that***8217;s normal.

yeah that’s normal ..but i the main issues are all the plastic cooling system components and the aluminum block in the m54. when some e46 overheat, you stop the engine .. permanently. blown head gasket, warped head, etc. not like the old days where you just wait for the engine to cool down.

so some of us are very worried about the water pump, thermostat, radiator, fan, etc as potential engine killers. the older engines were iron block and ran lower pressure cooling? current production is some aluminum-magnesium alloy?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I***8217;ve ran the $100 Amazon fans on 3 different auto e46s with the aux fan removed. They held up great and I never had a cooling issue. I***8217;m thinking about grabbing one for my m3, but it***8217;s not an exact fit so some trimming is required. Still on the fence, but in my experience it***8217;s totally worth it

·
Registered
15 Posts
I made the swap a few days ago and the results were very good. Before making the swap the temperatures were around 93c-98c but after the swap the temperatures now remain between 93c-96c at max, sometimes falls to 88c depending on the speed and route. I did these tests using the same route with varied slopes for at least 20 minutes. I find that it is an improvement and the engine effort is less.
Im living in Puerto Rico weather here is always around 80-90-F during the day with humidity at 100%

21 - 40 of 44 Posts