BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends.

I want to know your opinion on the pros and cons of going electric fan and removing clutch fan.

My clutch fan has 2 fins missing (last owner cut them off for some unknown reason) which is causing my clutch fan to be extremely loud.

I'm either going to replace the clutch fan or go to 2 10" electric fans based on the information I get from this thread.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Do not drive your car if there are missing mechanical fan blades. I wouldn't even start the engine if the missing blades are not from opposing sides. A fan imballanced this way will vibrate at high revs, which will eventually make the remaining blades break off at speed and cause a lot of damage.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do not drive your car if there are missing mechanical fan blades. I wouldn't even start the engine if the missing blades are not from opposing sides. A fan imballanced this way will vibrate at high revs, which will eventually make the remaining blades break off at speed and cause a lot of damage.
The fins cut off are side by side, the i noticed the motor does have a small small shake. Could this fan be causing it?

·
Registered
150 Posts
The only con is cost. But if you have to buy a new clutch fan and blades, then it's worth it to pay a little extra for the electric fan. If you can sell the front AUX fan afterward, then you will be even compare to getting the mechanical fan.

As far as performance, there is zero issue with the electric fan.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only con is cost. But if you have to buy a new clutch fan and blades, then it's worth it to pay a little extra for the electric fan. If you can sell the front AUX fan afterward, then you will be even compare to getting the mechanical fan.

As far as performance, there is zero issue with the electric fan.
the fan clutch is fine, but the blades are the messed up part. I would only need the blades and they go for about $30 and thats around the same price as the electric fans i would get

·
Registered
221 Posts
the fan clutch is fine, but the blades are the messed up part. I would only need the blades and they go for about $30 and thats around the same price as the electric fans i would get
If you are gonna do an electric fan swap, spend more than $30. This is a crucial part of the operation of your vehicle, if your $30 eBay fans crap out you could potentially overheat your engine. Use the oem electric fan from the manual transmission cars.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The pros are better mileage, quieter operation, smoother feel, no more possibility of the clutch fan destroying your cooling system if it goes awol, and easier access to your cooling system in the engine bay.

The negative is that you now must rely on that fan exclusively and especially the sensors which control its operation. Just swapped out mine and I'm glad I did. Check out the fan delete thread for more info.

·
Registered
150 Posts
What $30 fan are you talking about? That awfully cheap for an electric fan. The fan you want is the Behr/Bosch/CoolXpert for about $200.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What $30 fan are you talking about? That awfully cheap for an electric fan. The fan you want is the Behr/Bosch/CoolXpert for about $200.
It's from a friend. Not sure on the brand but he's not using it so he said he'd give it to me for $30, I'll get the brand tomorrow for ya

·
Registered
360 Posts
Another issue to have in mind is the fact that (presumably you have auto) mech fans have to cool off larger amount of coolant - from the transmission lines. There are numerous threads in here for Pro/Cons of the swap and i favor it. However, if BMW decided to have the mech fan for autos, it must be for a reason. I am not saying that they are perfect in their decisions. It would be helpful if someone with auto transmission that has done this swap has recorded before and after temperatures. Anyone?

·
Registered
150 Posts
No difference in temp after the conversion. I'm sure there is a reason BMW put the mechanical fan on autos, but that is still a mystery. But I know on the E90 models, they ditched the mechanical fan and run a electrical fan only.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another issue to have in mind is the fact that (presumably you have auto) mech fans have to cool off larger amount of coolant - from the transmission lines. There are numerous threads in here for Pro/Cons of the swap and i favor it. However, if BMW decided to have the mech fan for autos, it must be for a reason. I am not saying that they are perfect in their decisions. It would be helpful if someone with auto transmission that has done this swap has recorded before and after temperatures. Anyone?
I have a manual e46 the aux fan and radiator fan are not on my car though. It came like that

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,559 Posts
just buy new blades and replace before you do damage to waterpump being off balanced.

Problem solved and continue to enjoy your automatic.

·
Registered
'03 E46 325i with 6MT & LSD
2,186 Posts
I swapped to the electric fan from the mechanical fan. It's definitely worth it, and for me in Australia, it was actually cheaper overall to do the conversion than to buy the fan blades and clutch.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
JakeGee, I just thought I'd chime in with the rest of this crew and warn you that, those fans have been known to literally blow apart when they have all their blades,and turn a minor part issue into a massive $1,500+expense (if you do the work yourself). When it goes, it can take out the radiator, expansion tank, hoses, pretty much anything in the front of the engine compartment,which means your going to have a second or two to shut your engine down before it overheats. Your playing with fire and the toy you're using is an defective explosive.
I wouldn't even attempt using a used fan, nor would I drive the car until it's addressed. There are numerous horror stories on this forum of random fan blowups and the damage they've done. The fan is going to be out of balance even if the missing blades are opposite each other.
All I can say is good luck and let us know how it turns out.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
12,806 Posts
I removed my mechanical fan and used just the aux (pusher) fan for several years and the operating temps of the coolant and transmission oil were the same before and after. Not saying others should do this, but it was an experiment I wanted to try and it worked out okay.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I removed my mechanical fan and used just the aux (pusher) fan for several years and the operating temps of the coolant and transmission oil were the same before and after. Not saying others should do this, but it was an experiment I wanted to try and it worked out okay.
How did you read the temp of the transmission fluid?

Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Any one know where to buy the electric fan? I've looked on ebay and for an OEM one by BEHR or Bosch is $300 plus. Just wondering where one would buy it for $200?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts