E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, after doing a thorough (I believe) search I was hoping you could help with an issue I am having replacing the alternator. I am trying to remove the electric cooling fan following the Bentley Manual and what I am finding online. This thread has been particularly helpful.

However, when trying to pull the fan out, I keep getting hung up on the electrical switch that sits just below the valve cover on the head in the picture below? For the life of me, I cannot get the electric motor, below the plugs on the fan, to clear this switch. Further, I cannot seem to get my hand in a position to remove this plug to try and clear it out of the way. I don't want to break but cannot find any reference to clearing this plug anywhere. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!
Helmet Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Premium Member
2005 330xi Auto, 2006 330ci Vert Auto
1,798 Posts
This is the sensor itself. See the "nub" that's circled in red? There's one on both sides of the sensor. When removing the electrical connection, you need to squeeze the two tabs such that they clear the two "nubs".

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Audio equipment Font Input device

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Exhaust cam sensor. Try this video starting at about 4:15 mark.

BTW, your valve cover gasket is leaking.

Good luck.
Thank you, I will give it a shot trying to get it out again. At least now I have a better idea than try and break something.

And yes, I have the gasket to replace it but have not quite had the time yet. That is on the docket right after I can get the car moving again. :)

I appreciate the help.

·
Premium Member
7,768 Posts
If the fan housing hits the cam plug it means the fan housing is not seated correctly and pushed towards the engine (hopefully not the entire front support). Have you tried lifting the fan a bit upwards and then pushing it towards the radiator, then continue upwards?

·
Registered
179 Posts
For the exhaust cam sensor connector, you have to push it in and then press the release tabs in order for the plug to come off the nubs. The fan should clear the cam sensor plug without interferece so something is not aligned correctly.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For the exhaust cam sensor connector, you have to push it in and then press the release tabs in order for the plug to come off the nubs. The fan should clear the cam sensor plug without interferece so something is not aligned correctly.
I was able to get it out without moving the sensor, took a bit but it worked. The car was in a previous front end collision so that might be it. I will need to take apart the front end this winter as it does need work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts