E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just began this weekend.. upon starting/or just passing the key to the on position. I hear what sounds like a cricket/buzz from behind the dashboard.. it happens w/ the a/c on or off.. and stops as soon as I turn the key to the off position.. :ben: any ideas? has this happened to someone else?? there's a thread but no help on it.. any info is appreciated in advance! Thanks..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
found the answer to the cricket/buzz/chirp sound...

will post a DYI w/ pics soon... just above the footrest there's an air blower that sends cabin temperature air into an electronic cluster across the firewall.. this blower works at all times w/ A/C on or off.. as long as the key is on the second position, so after 80k miles of use or such the blower begins to loose it's balance and the blower itself begins to scratch the plastic housing hence creating the chirp/cricket sounds.. took it off and greased it but all it did was hide the noise for a couple of days.. so went to pick up a new one $70 at the dealership.. so I hope this helps others since I did see several people asking about this in this and other forums.. but no one had an exact answer.. will post pics later.. :woot:

·
Registered
136 Posts
I am gettin a crickety sound from my dash too. It seems to be coming from the area behind or right next to the glove box. Mine however has nothing to do with wether the fan is on or off. Its only when i accelerate, i'll hear it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok.. here's the DIY for the cricket/electric buzz behind the dashboard (driver's side) culprit was the fan. You will need the following description and part number from the dealership: BLOWER WITH COVER PART NO. 12-14-1-437-454. Cost $70.00. It takes approx. 30 mins to change and you will need the following tools a hexagonal tool set and a phillips screw driver.

Here we go.. STEP 1: remove the plastic cover just above the pedals..

JUST A FRIENDLY REMINDER REMOVE THE PIN
COMPLETY OFF THE FASTENER..
IF U PULL THE FASTENER WITH THE PIN INSIDE IT WILL BREAK!!!

STEP 2: remove the 3 screws from the blower.. yes this is the culprit to the cricket noise!!.. which dealer could never find..
Warning! once blower is free.. is NOT!..
DO NOT PULL ON IT!! it's not yet free from the electric connection..

STEP 3: open hood.. head out to the front of the car.. find the electric box and remove the 4 hex screws, then remove the plastic cover..

STEP 4: Where my index finger is, in the back of the box you will see the connector to the blower slide it off (after releasing the safety clip it slides down not up...) Then disconnect the blower and retrieve it from the inside..

STEP 6: get replacement, connect it.. and place everything back!! :woot:

Hope this helps and enjoy u'r cricket free car!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dyi

(don't know what happened to the pics.. let's try again)
Ok.. here's the DIY for the cricket/electric buzz behind the dashboard (driver's side) culprit was the fan. You will need the following description and part number from the dealership: BLOWER WITH COVER PART NO. 12-14-1-437-454. Cost $70.00. It takes approx. 30 mins to change and you will need the following tools a hexagonal tool set and a phillips screw driver.

Here we go.. STEP 1: remove the plastic cover just above the pedals..

JUST A FRIENDLY REMINDER REMOVE THE PIN
COMPLETY OFF THE FASTENER..
IF U PULL THE FASTENER WITH THE PIN INSIDE IT WILL BREAK!!!

STEP 2: remove the 3 screws from the blower.. yes this is the culprit to the cricket noise!!.. which dealer could never find..
Warning! once blower is free.. it's NOT!..
DO NOT PULL ON IT!! it's not yet free from the electric connection..

STEP 3: open hood.. head out to the front of the car.. find the electric box and remove the 4 hex screws, then remove the plastic cover..

STEP 4: Where my index finger is, in the back of the box you will see the connector to the blower slide it off (after releasing the safety clip it slides down not up...) Then disconnect the blower and retrieve it from the inside..

STEP 6: get replacement, connect it.. and place everything back!!

Hope this helps and enjoy u'r cricket free car!! :woot:

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yay...just did the DIY but instead of replacing the blower I just greased it (too cheap to buy a new one). Hopefully it will keep the noise from coming back for more than a few days. So far so good.

Anyway, how important do you think the blower is? If it the noise comes back I was just thinking about unplugging the damn thing until I have time again to replace it with a new one.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Can someone post a vid or soundclip of the "cricket" culprit...

I have a buzz coming from somewhere behind the dash whenever I release the clutch and hit the accelerater. It's annoying as hell because I think you can hear it outside as well. The catch is, you only hear the buzz when disengaging clutch and hitting 950-1050 RPM's

TIA for any advice.. AP :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Wow, this is exactly the same problem I just started to have on my 99 323i with 130K miles. A month ago, in the morning when I was starting my car, I would hear some buzzing sound coming from the driver's side dashboard and I also hear a cricket sound or clicking sound while i back up my car sometimes, once i start driving the noise goes away. But the cricket/chirping sound still happens sometimes when driving at night.

Does anyone know if I dont fix this, would it cause any problems in the future?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanx

Great DIY! Took apart the blower fan and the jimminey cricket chirp went away.

The Stealership wanted to replace the instrument cluster!

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.