E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 BMW 325Ci. I have gone through 3 transmissions on the vehicle (the original, plus 2 reconditioned transmissions). The same problem continues to occur where I'm sitting in the car (at a stoplight, waiting for someone, etc.) with it in drive and my foot on the brake. There is a little bump and the transmission light comes on and the car goes into limp mode. The first transmission was replaced in October of last year with 85,468 miles on the car. The work order stated, "Checked and ran fault test and has an internal transmission problem and needs replacing-est. $6400 for a replacement unit." I was able to get the local dealership to replace the transmission with a reconditioned transmission for $1,500 and a one year/12k mile warranty on the part. This transmission went out about 600 miles later at 86,021 miles. The same thing happened. They took 44 days to locate another used transmission and then they replaced it. The work order this time had "Replacement trans gear box failed," "Transmission had problem with output sensor," and "Transmission found gear monitoring fault stored in EGS." Now about 900 miles later at 86,900 miles the transmission went out again. The light came on the same way and the car went into limp mode. Now the dealership is telling me the EGS Control Unit needs to be replaced. Could the EGS have been the problem from the start and the transmission replacements have been unnecessary? Could the replacements have caused this problem? Could the EGS problem be created by the dealership to get me to buy a new part since the transmission is under warranty, but the EGS is not covered under that? Does anyone have an opinion on what I should do in this sitution or what is going on with my car? Thank you.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket radio/amp/etc or alarm system in your car?

Has the EGS software been updated at all?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.