BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic was discussed many times followed by a thorough search. However i still don't have an answer. :confused: I am about to slap on my GruppeM intake but don't know which ECU to go with. What do you people think is the best chip??? I heard Dinan's aren't as great. Should i get the Autothority or just wait for a Shark?????
Gimme advices....:dunno:

·
Registered
847 Posts
I wanna kno as well....jus got the gruppeM and abouyt to install also...PLEASE HELP PEEPLEZ!!!!!!!!!!how mcuh longer for the shark???question arises once again!:huh::huh::huh:

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I think Active Autowerk has a chip, as well as Turner, I'm not sure, you'ld have to check around. I think most everybody has either gone the Dinan route or are waiting on the shark. Haven't heard any reviews on anybody else that I recall....do a search, that would be your best bet for now. :dunno:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have AutoT

I don't remember the cost of the software but I do remember getting a good deal because I was the second 330 getting the chip flashed.
Some people worry about the fact that they remove the chip for flashing but I have not had any problems now, going on 2 years.
Check out the AutoT web site for pricing. I did notice quite a difference at the track.
Here's a link to the dyno chart:
http://groups.msn.com/BMW5406modified/dynocharts.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=161

One thing I noticed about this chart, the one posted on the AutoT site, and the AA site was that they are very much alike. Someone said some time ago that they thought that a Euro tuner did the software and that AA and AutoT were reselling the software. I have not confirmed this rumor.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I have held off on the GruppeM because I am getting AA exhaust tomorrow and ultimately want both a chip and intake as well.

If I go Dinan for the software, most/all dealers won't install Stage2 w/o Dinan intake. I know Jim C enjoy's a fine rep for other products, but I've had my 330i for 2 1/2 years, and there's not even a hint at when it might be available? That says alot to me about how his development is going. Last I heard he was waiting for "parts" from suppliers, BUT that's just for the delivery mechanism. You'd think there would be some indication regarding WHAT exactly his software will do when the obstacle of flashing is overcome or parts are available. I've heard nothing. AA makes some good claims and I'll probably grill them for info when I am there, but $800? Way too much for 5-7 hp.

The reason the Shark is so compelling to me is the ability to put things back or reload when needed. Does anyone know what happens if you take you car in because it's running poorly - let's say you had a bad sensor or something. Would the dealer know instantly that the ecu was altered? I've had the software updated on my car to correct a stalling problem. Would that have wiped the new software?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts