E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'03 E46 325i with 6MT & LSD
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Introduction:
The ECS Tuning Billet Aluminium Oil Filter Cover is a simple replacement to the stock oil filter cap. While in most cases, there is no reason to replace it other than for aesthetic reasons, there have been some instances where the cap has actually broken due to improper torque, or excessive heat cycling, or improper tools. Ultimately, as with the Aluminium Dipstick I previously reviewed, I bought this for engine bay ***8216;bling***8217;.

Pictures + Procedure:
I apologise in advance if my photography skills are horrible; I pretty much don***8217;t know my way around a camera nor editing software (I just change things to the point where it looks good for me).

1. Close up of filter cap

2. Both filters together. You must remove the filter cage from the old filter cap and attach it to the new one. It takes quite a bit of pulling force, and some wiggling about to remove it, and just as much force to put it back in the ECS cap.

3. Close up shot of new cap with cage installed

4. ECS magnetic drain plug!

5. Installed to 25 N.m. torque

Review:
The oil filter cap feels much more rigid and strong as compared to the stock cap. The build quality of the item is also something to be admired. In addition, the cap has two socket sizes in-built to aid with installation and removal ***8211; a 17mm, and a 36mm. The 17mm is nice, since it means you can use a relatively easy to buy torque wrench (I haven***8217;t found a 3/8***8221; drive 36mm, but I didn***8217;t search very hard ***8211; mine is a ½***8221; drive, and my ½***8221; torque wrench starts from around 50 lb/ft) to ensure you have 25 N.m. However, since it***8217;s metal on metal contact at that point, you***8217;ll know when to stop tightening.

Conclusion:
Overall I***8217;m very satisfied with this piece from ECS Tuning. It feels great in the hand, and somewhat serves a meaningful purpose. In addition, it looks good, and has some benefits over the stock configuration with the additional 17mm hex head, and removal of the risk of breakage from over torqueing. Ultimately, I would recommend the billet aluminium oil filter cap if you***8217;re looking for some additional ***8216;bling***8217;, or if you***8217;re concerned of the condition of your stock cap (for reference in Australia, a dealer price for an oil filter cap would likely be $100-$150 AUD, so overall an upgrade for the same price, if not less, is the ECS piece), it is also a worthwhile replacement. I did have one very minor issue that doesn't affect the piece - the threads near the bottom were very slightly damaged due to shipping; more air cushions or foam may have prevented this, or separate cardboard boxes.

This item is available here:
ECS Tuning Billet Aluminium Oil Filter Cap

Other Reviews:
ECS Tuning Billet Aluminium Oil Dipstick - Brushed Silver

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Certainly looks beautiful!! Assuming the OEM o-ring fits there yes? Also after torquing to specs, the logo/serial is visible or hidden?
OEM O-Ring fits perfectly. I was originally going to note down all the dimensions and compare it with stock, but I couldn't find a vernier caliper in time.

It depends on where you start the threading. Currently mine is about 2cm off centre, but still visible from the front.

·
Registered
361 Posts
That would look good with their Black Billet water pump pulley as well.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That would look good with their Black Billet water pump pulley as well.
I have a silver billet water pump pulley from ECS that will be installed either today or tomorrow! Received quite a few things from ECS recently, and very likely even more in the future!

I have one too. Works sweet.
Awesome! Glad to her you like yours too. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts