E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'03 E46 325i with 6MT & LSD
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Introduction:
The ECS Tuning Billet Aluminium Dipstick is something that has come into my hands as of recently. As I've seen no reviews about it, and that ECS has also reached out to the community for reviews of their products, I contacted ECS regarding this, and they have been happy to let me review one of their products. This is by no means a performance modification in any regards, nor do I expect it to - it is a piece of 'bling' for the engine bay.

Photos:
I apologise in advance if my photography skills are horrible; I pretty much don't know my way around a camera nor editing software (I just change things to the point where it looks good for me).

1. Overall Shot with it in my engine bay

2. Close up of the dipstick head

3. Close up of the dipstick head (different angle)

4. Close up of ends (note the different lengths of the end pieces; the ECS piece on the top terminates earlier than the Genuine BMW piece. I don't think this affects anything as the read area is still the same with the ECS being between the two etches on the billet piece that corresponds to the rectangle on the Genuine BMW piece.)

5. Close up of billet head compared to Genuine BMW head

6. Overall shot of the two dipsticks from overhead

Review:
At first glance, the piece looks beautiful with its brushed silver finish. It carries some weight to it too, and the steel cable which attaches to the bottom piece is very tight, and looks to be of very good quality. There was a minor blemish on my head piece though, but I presume will not be on every single piece.
The level indicator is pretty much spot on, or at least within acceptable tolerances (by my standards anyway), and would does a good job of replicating the stock dipstick. One of my qualms with it is that the surface of the level indicator is too smooth, so it leaves only a very thin film of oil, and can be difficult to ascertain what the level is. If I recall correctly, another company in the US also makes billet dipsticks, but they have a cross-hatch etched into the level indicator section as well which represents the oil level better.
Another thing of note is that (obviously) the dipstick is hot as hell when straight after you turn off the car, so wearing gloves is ideal for checking the oil level. This is to be expected since it is a metal instead of a plastic, and heat conduction etc.

Conclusion:
Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with the piece. It would be pretty beneficial overall if there was a less smooth surface on the dipstick level end, but I'll be able to make do without it I think. It does dress up the engine bay a lot more, and presents very nicely if you're into that. Yes I do believe it is an unnecessary purchase, but for the people who have been looking into buying one, and don't mind that it has little deviation from the stock 'performance', it is a great item from ECS!

It can be found at the following link:
ECS Tuning Billet Aluminium Oil Dipstick - It also comes in polished silver and black!

Other reviews:
ECS Tuning Billet Aluminium Oil Filter Cap Review

·
Registered
E46 F10 W204 W212
5,259 Posts
Does Gruven make this for ECS? It looks similar if not the same from pictures in John Rando's thread from a while back. The pricing is similar too.

Just curious, that's all. I'm glad they got it off the ground without a minimum, unlike Gruven.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cvx, i'm honestly not sure. I was part of that thread too, and was hoping for a positive outcome. From what I remember, they're very similar, but as mentioned, I'm 90% sure they had cross hatching on the level indicator side for Gruven.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The one thing I appreciate about the original dipstick is the 3D arrowhead pattern on the oil level indicator. It is specifically designed to ensure that the middle part does not touch the tube on the way in or out. This has always annoyed me with all other cars, and I had a huge grin on my face when I saw the BMW dipstick for the first time, I thought the design was super clever. I'm disappointed to see the aftermarket stick does not implement that feature, but maybe it's a patent kind of thing.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The one thing I appreciate about the original dipstick is the 3D arrowhead pattern on the oil level indicator. It is specifically designed to ensure that the middle part does not touch the tube on the way in or out. This has always annoyed me with all other cars, and I had a huge grin on my face when I saw the BMW dipstick for the first time, I thought the design was super clever. I'm disappointed to see the aftermarket stick does not implement that feature, but maybe it's a patent kind of thing.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk
Yeah that is a good point. I thought the same thing when I saw it. It was a neat little thing, and I do wish the ECS piece had it (it does have a ball-thing higher up on the dipstick, but I don't think it does as much as the BMW one), but overall I'm still very happy with the purchase.

·
Vendor
11,259 Posts
Glad you're digging it! I'll bring up the cross hatching idea in our next development meeting.

Does Gruven make this for ECS? It looks similar if not the same from pictures in John Rando's thread from a while back. The pricing is similar too.

Just curious, that's all. I'm glad they got it off the ground without a minimum, unlike Gruven.
They do not, this is solely an ECS project.

-James

1 - 8 of 8 Posts