BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
yuppie racing
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If Im not mistaken, designs like the dinan intake and ones like it, are a TRUE CAI. But it seems like everyone on here calls any air intake a CAI.

If im not mistaken intakes like the ECIS and Conforti are not "cold air intakes" but rather just air intakes with heat sheilds. Im I confused????

·
Registered
654 Posts
Well...to a certain point you are right....COLD AIR is what should be taken into the filter and yes it is mainly at a bottom part of the car where most is being blown through...I personally don't like the ECIS intake because it only really utilizes the air duct from stock air box and is a bent pipe....but conforti to a point is also cold air becuse it has a heat shield and there are parts behind head light and the tube from stock air box where air can flow and the air can be called COLD AIR....but for true cold air I prefer the piping down to the bottom off bumper where there is less heat (because heat rises) and alot more COLD AIR flow...so is this enough to ansewer your question!!!:):)

·
yuppie racing
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
many japanese tuners offer both what they call intakes (with heatshields and all) as well as CAI's with the tubes collecting air down near the bumper. For instance AEM offers both a "ram air intake" which stays up in the hood and has a heat shield, as well as a "cold air intake" similar in design to our Dinan, Injen, Benfer. This is similar among most japanese tuners for their cars.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Personally, I really don't think it matters that much where you mount the intake, since you're not likely to find big difference in air temperature. If you look at the stock setup, it's sucking air from the kidney grills. The dinan is sucking air from below the bumper....I doubt air temp is going to be that big of a difference over such a small distance. If that's true, then sleeping on the floor versus sleeping on the bed would give you free air conditioning. (well...check that...maybe in colder nights, it will be a big temp difference)

Just a wild idea, to truly pump some cold air into the engine, why not do it computer-overclocking style. Refrigerate cool the air!! (anyone remember the kryotech CPU cooling?):D :D

·
Registered
654 Posts
???

simon323ispp said:
Personally, I really don't think it matters that much where you mount the intake, since you're not likely to find big difference in air temperature. If you look at the stock setup, it's sucking air from the kidney grills. The dinan is sucking air from below the bumper....I doubt air temp is going to be that big of a difference over such a small distance. If that's true, then sleeping on the floor versus sleeping on the bed would give you free air conditioning. (well...check that...maybe in colder nights, it will be a big temp difference)

Just a wild idea, to truly pump some cold air into the engine, why not do it computer-overclocking style. Refrigerate cool the air!! (anyone remember the kryotech CPU cooling?):D :D
:huh: :huh: :huh:

There is a big difference in temperature from the stock air box to the temperature of something like Dinan......the stock air box tube is only getting that little bit of air flow to it and plus it is sitting inside the engine bay where there is alot of heat...Dinan sit below the engine and in front of pure cold air that is being blown through all sides of the filter and is not sitting in engine heat also...the temperature in those two places are totally different...maybe something like stock air box and ECIS doesn't really matter..there I will give you credit!!

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
CAI refers to any intake that draws its air from outside the engine bay. One would be crazy to think that the air in the lower bumper area is any cooler than the air in the kidney grille/headlights area.

·
Alpha Male
6,560 Posts
ECIS can be considered more a SRI (Short Ram Intake) more than a CAI.

Although it is very effective.

·
yuppie racing
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Clem said:
ECIS can be considered more a SRI (Short Ram Intake) more than a CAI.

Although it is very effective.
exactly what I thought, I just find it kind of amusing that people say that they have a ECIS CAI when it isnt......

Maybe Im being too technical but its like saying that my bimmer is a V6 when obviusly it is an inline six.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If are an average Joe like me, not
pushing the car hard, then don't
get an intake and expect much.
I just installed a major brand intake
(please don't ask me which one),
I was really surprised that I was
not trained well enough to tell the
difference: horsepower, torque, sound,
all the same! I was expecting at least