E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
seen a lot of people doing catless ebay headers but keeping a muffler/ using aftermarket muffler or keeping resonators. my question is what would it be like to do ebay headers + a true straight pipe (no cat no mufflers no resonators) on my e46 328. Would this sound terrible? I want my car to be loud af.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
it would, in fact, be loud as fork.

beyond that, well, to each their own.

t
the garage place

·
Premium Member
2005, E46 Convertible, 330CI M Sport, Mystic Blue, 76k Miles
228 Posts
Take it to a custom exhaust shop and get them to fit in some extra wide straight through pipe. You'll have plenty of loud then.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I can confirm that your car will be as TobyB said.... loud as fuck. I honestly wouldn't think about a straight through, trust me from experience it's not worth it. Keeping the resonators will help a lot and still be very loud. Straight through is just too loud, especially driving down the motorway! it will literally do your head in once the novelty of it all wears off.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
5,547 Posts
Headers with straight pipes often will yield slightly more HP. However most budget headers aren't properly tuned and whilst there's more HP, it often is in a certain powerband and not across the entire envelope.
Furthermore the exhaust system isn't just a set of pipes to carry the gases out to the back of the car. Rather careful consideration and dyno testing has been carried out for pipe size, location, bends, crossover pipes etc. to ensure the best possible power delivery over the entire operating envelope.

Professional race teams spend a lot of time manipulating such to extract the maximum power from exhaust systems. I rather doubt (sorry) a set of EBay headers and randomly chosen straight pipe will produce more power other that it sounds faster. Tantamount to most cold air intakes actually loose power over the envelope. Not the dyno chart that they ran 50 times until a peak number was achieved, making you buy the product.

Lets go one step further: Traditionally the exhaust system is not the bottleneck (other than the muffler) of the car's capability to breathe. It most often is the intake runners on the cylinder head. Proper head porting (that's not a trivial task) is where power gains are to be had. Then once that's done, make the other side, the exhaust breathe.

The goal to power is: Burn as much fuel as you can, EFFICIENTLY.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it would, in fact, be loud as fuck.

beyond that, well, to each their own.

t
the garage place
I can confirm that your car will be as TobyB said.... loud as fuck. I honestly wouldn't think about a straight through, trust me from experience it's not worth it. Keeping the resonators will help a lot and still be very loud. Straight through is just too loud, especially driving down the motorway! it will literally do your head in once the novelty of it all wears off.
i plan to keep my stock exhaust system so i can slap it back on if i ever want to sell, so i don’t want to be cutting it and doing a muffler delete on the stock exhaust. And i’m guessing a full new system with resonators would cost a lot right. Unless... could i do a muffler delete and then have a shop re attach the muffler if i was going to sell my car?

·
Registered
‘99 328i Meergruen Metallic
112 Posts
i plan to keep my stock exhaust system so i can slap it back on if i ever want to sell, so i don’t want to be cutting it and doing a muffler delete on the stock exhaust. And i’m guessing a full new system with resonators would cost a lot right. Unless... could i do a muffler delete and then have a shop re attach the muffler if i was going to sell my car?
You could have them cut the muffler out and clamp a pipe in there, then if you ever want to switch back you just clamp the muffler back in where the pipe is.

·
Registered
2002 BMW E46 330i
137 Posts
A straightpipe will be very loud, but it doesn’t sound very good at all. Zero sophistication in tone and all the drone. I guess it will be lighter than an exhaust system with mufflers and resonators but please spare your ears and everyone else’s and don’t straightpipe. It sounds so bad. I made a tune for a guy a month ago. He had a 325i and the exhaust system had a straight through design muffler and a resonator. It was pretty loud, but he wanted more loud, so he bought a straightpipe exhaust off of his friend. He had it on for one day before putting back on his old system. Just way too loud and he said it didn’t sound good at all and the drone made everything rattle in the interior including his brain.

Mucho fuego es bueno.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A straightpipe will be very loud, but it doesn’t sound very good at all. Zero sophistication in tone and all the drone. I guess it will be lighter than an exhaust system with mufflers and resonators but please spare your ears and everyone else’s and don’t straightpipe. It sounds so bad. I made a tune for a guy a month ago. He had a 325i and the exhaust system had a straight through design muffler and a resonator. It was pretty loud, but he wanted more loud, so he bought a straightpipe exhaust off of his friend. He had it on for one day before putting back on his old system. Just way too loud and he said it didn’t sound good at all and the drone made everything rattle in the interior including his brain.

Mucho fuego es bueno.
would keeping both or one of the resonators help lessen the drone and make it not sound like shit?

·
Registered
2002 BMW E46 330i
137 Posts
would keeping both or one of the resonators help lessen the drone and make it not sound like shit?
You might want to do a custom exhaust with aftermarket resonators and muffler. That will be louder than using stock stuff but lessen rasp compared to a straight pipe.

Mucho fuego es bueno.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I just did a muffler delete and also got rid of the big resonator but I had the shop weld in v bands after the cats where the flange is! I have a 03 330i so it’s 2 pipes all the way back, it’s not to loud and not droney! And with the windows up driving you can’t hardly hear it in the cabin!! It had a great throaty growl and when I let off the throttle it does a nice little burble and pop! I had a guy with an e46 m3 ask me what kind of muffler I had on and he was shocked that it sounded that good just straight piped from the flange!!! But the reason why I had em put the bands on is so if I wanted to put on the stick muffler again or an aftermarket dinan or borla all they have to do is cut it to length and then put vbands on the muffler and lock the vband down and it’s good to go!! Plus it makes it a lot easier when your doing any tranny or driveline work or anything under it! That way it comes off in 3 pieces and more important it is easily a 1 person job to put it back together instead of having an 8 foot piece of exhaust that ways almost 120 pounds!!

·
Registered
2002 BMW E46 330i
137 Posts
So I just did a muffler delete and also got rid of the big resonator but I had the shop weld in v bands after the cats where the flange is! I have a 03 330i so it’s 2 pipes all the way back, it’s not to loud and not droney! And with the windows up driving you can’t hardly hear it in the cabin!! It had a great throaty growl and when I let off the throttle it does a nice little burble and pop! I had a guy with an e46 m3 ask me what kind of muffler I had on and he was shocked that it sounded that good just straight piped from the flange!!! But the reason why I had em put the bands on is so if I wanted to put on the stick muffler again or an aftermarket dinan or borla all they have to do is cut it to length and then put vbands on the muffler and lock the vband down and it’s good to go!! Plus it makes it a lot easier when your doing any tranny or driveline work or anything under it! That way it comes off in 3 pieces and more important it is easily a 1 person job to put it back together instead of having an 8 foot piece of exhaust that ways almost 120 pounds!!
Nice, a great way to go about it! Modular construction and proper respectable sound!

Mucho fuego es bueno.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts