BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I know there are alot of posts about headers but ive done my research and cant find what im looking for. I want to install new ebay headers but as you all now, our headers have the catalytic converter built into them and the ebay headers do not. so I would be running without any cats. that not a big deal to me but the problem is i live in colorado and catalytic converters are mandatory here so i wouldnt be able to pass emissions. I saw a thread where the guy said to install race cats for around $200 but i have no idea where to get these and where to install them on my exhaust. Worst comes to worst i can keep my old headers and swap them out every time emission time comes around (every 2 years) but if anyone has any suggestions id really appreciate it, im not trying to spend a fortune on this so go easy on me!

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
How is the "emission test" done? Is it an actual sniffer test though the tail pipe or an OBD scan?
If its the OBD scan them just get some O2 simulators that will show a "Ready" reading for the given sensor.

If its a tail pipe sniffer then your best bet is to reinstall the original maniforlds every 2 year. Why? well its because if you get cheap race cats they will not even lats a few months and you will fail the sniffer after 2 years of driving. There is a reason why original cats cost 1500-1500$ , its because they last at least 15 years .

Cheap crap like magnaflow or no name crap will fail after a few months

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
they do the tailpipe sniffer and the obd test. they also put a mirror under the car to actually see presence of cats. ill prolly just swap the headers every two years but if i was to install cats, where would i install them?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Keep your stock exhaust manifolds and swap out for when you need to do your emissions test and save yourself the headache of trying to find a way around it

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
they do the tailpipe sniffer and the obd test. they also put a mirror under the car to actually see presence of cats. ill prolly just swap the headers every two years but if i was to install cats, where would i install them?
Anywhere in the exhaust system where you have space.
You can put them in place of the resonator or in the place of the first muffler

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Here's an idea...
Cut the cats off of your stock manifolds, and have them welded in after your headers.
Just a thought.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts