E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the Write up on it from the Ebay seller
F1 Racing STAGE 2 clutch kit is a step up from our Stage 1 clutch kit. This is a versatile set up for the street and on the track. It provides a smooth engagement yet it can holds 50%+ more power over stock clutches. This is a direct factory replacement clutch kit thus no modifications are needed and the clutch kit includes only the highest grade components from world's leading high performance clutch manufacturer. The Carbonized kevlar friction material is used on all Stage 2 clutch kit to have higher burst strength and heat tolerance. The heavy-duty sprung center with heat treated springs and retainer rivets to increase strengh and reliability. The F1 Racing pressure plate features special single diaphragm design to increase clamp load. It features induction hardened diaphragm, CNC machined castings, stronger drive straps and rivets. F1 Racing pressure plate provides smooth and precise feel with easy modulation. All F1 Racing pressure plate is load tested on a special testing tool for quality assurance.

This complete clutch kit includes:
F1 Racing Heavy-Duty Self-Adjusting Pressure Plate
F1 Racing Carbon Kevlar Sprung Disc (9-7/16", 10 spline)
Release Bearing
Pilot Bearing
2 pc. Alignment Tool
Installation Guide

Horsepower Rating: 439 HP / Torque Capacity: 387 ft/lbs

F1 Racing Lightweight Chromoly Flywheels are made from 4140 one-piece billet chromoly steel. They are specifically designed to reduce weight and inertia for better engine response. Most incorporate special design features to enhance the air flow to improve the cooling of the clutch. The ring gear teeth are milled onto the flywheel unlike an aluminum flywheel where the ring gear is pressed onto the flywheel which has the possibility of separating from the flywheel. All F1 Racing Chromoly flywheels have passed engineering tests to 12,000 rpm.
Ultra heavy-duty and weighs only 15.85 lbs (stock flywheel weighs 24 lbs)
Includes 8 ea. flywheel mounting bolts
Meets or exceeds SFI 1.1 specification
Made from 4140 forged chromoly steel (2X stronger than billet steel)
F1 Racing Lightweight Chromoly flywheels incorporate special design features to enhance the airflow for improved clutch cooling
CAD designed, CNC machined and computer balanced
NOTE: Replacement of dual mass flywheel may cause added gear noise

Retail Value: $ 1386

F1-04120R1-SS & 04120FX-HT #32

It's priced at $477.00 with $23.00 shipping, so $500.00 shipped all together.

a friend put it in for me (which he cursed me for later with the top bolts on the E46 tranny being so hard to get to but that's another story...)

Story behind it is my clutch was starting to slip, so I went looking for a replacement and wasn't looking for any kit with a Flywheel that was too light as they all have a noise to them. This kit included a 4140 one-piece billet chromoly steel FlyWheel that was in between the Aluminum one and the stock one. So far I haven't heard a peep from it 1000 miles later. The kit included everything to install the new clutch except the exhaust gaskets, but we can't blame them for that. It was amazing the feel of this new clutch. It was odd to actually feel the power of the car once more. This kit was everything for a great price. I would highly recomend it to anyone looking for something for their daily driver that can handle a bit more HP than the stock clutch. The Flywheel also makes the tach swing much easier in both directions with the lighter FlyWheel.

Here is a link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car....c0.m245&_trkparms=72:543|65:12|39:1|240:1318

·
Legendary like a schoolboy
6,403 Posts
ive never heard of anyone buying a unheard of clutch kit on ebay, but it seems like you got it for about 30-40% cheaper than lets say my UUC segmented-kevlar, and steel 10 pound flywheel.

please keep this thread updated and Im happy you found a great kit for such a great price.

do you feel that the cluch engagement has moved from the top to a lower point?

is it stiffer then stock? did you use any different fluids for the flywheel gear rattle?

thanks

·
Registered
17,008 Posts
Seeing as how a clutch is kind of important...I wouldn't buy an untrusted kit off eBay.

On the other hand, if you feel like being a guinea pig for everyone on here, go right ahead.

·
Registered
271 Posts
hmm.. that flywheel looks awfully a lot like fidanza's..which coincidentally looks a lot like "others".... ebay ftw. fidanza flywheels go for around 400 by themselves even on ebay.. not sure how much i would trust the clutch then...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Didn't change anything other than what came with the kit. It is a little stiffer, but not really noticeable in daily driving. The engagement point did change a little as well but I think that was because my old Clutch was wore down to the rivets... :eek:

The FlyWheel is almost 16lbs so I think it has enough weight to it to not rattle.
The price was unbeatable and a friend had bought a kit from this seller and recommended me to him. I figured for that price and a free install from my friend how could I go wrong...

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if this was from the same manufacturer as the "name brand" clutch kits.

If that's the case this a great score! And...keep us updated. :thumbup:

·
Registered
765 Posts
Looking to replace clutch do to the springs on the pressure plate collapsing. From reading this thread it sounds great for the price, but I says its not for a 328Ci. Any other recommendations on what to use?

·
Registered
13,875 Posts
wow, glad to hear its working out for you. not everything on ebay is shiet, you just have to make sure your buying hte right parts, which usually takes a lot of trial and error.

please keep us updated!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well after another 200 miles the Clutch kit is doing well. Although the lightened flywheel does make a small noise when it's in neutral and the clutch pedal disengaged. to give the type of noise as an example, it's similar to someone with a catalytic converter rattle with there foot on the brake you hear on some cars. With your foot on the clutch pedal, you don't hear it though. I've researched flywheels before buying this kit as it was a lightened flywheel and everyone stated about the "chatter" that they make. I couldn't hear it until I was out in front on the car really. The Clutch Kit is working very good still, no complaints so far. The clutch that I thought was a sac, I'm not so sure anymore after looking over the boxing it came in as it's labeled with the F1 info on it. I'll make another update later on again. The weather is just starting to get better up here in the Boston area so I'll be able to really get on it to test it out within a few weeks I would think.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'm looking at purchasing the same kit from those guys for my 328Ci. They appear to be the most legit seller on there. Over 5k+ sales and no complaints. By far this is the best deal, you can't even get an oem clutch kit w/flywheel from pelican parts that cheap(not to talk bad about them, i get all my other parts from them).

Like you said you here some noise, what grip force refers to as " gear noise" I guess its the sacrifice you take getting rid of the dual mass flywheel.

I have also been told that the clutch brake in period is 500 miles, is that about right?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The break in period because it's a kevlar one, they say 750 miles. Also, the "chatter" is sporadic as well, so sometimes it's quiet, which seems odd, but oh well. lol.

·
Banned
575 Posts
This is a good thread. Thanks OP, not only for trying something new but for sharing the information with the e46fanatic community. I'll consider this kit when clutch replacement time comes. Kudos for thinking outside the box.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i puchased the stage 2 as well , no problems but beware it does not have the tdc hole in the flywheel for the tdc locking pin tool

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Still going strong! I was just looking for a cheaper alternative than what is being offered and healthy price competition usually keeps the rest of the market in check. As I told my friend/mechanic, Just because it's a BMW doesn't mean I like to get raped when the bill comes in... lol. On top of it all I get so much from this forum I felt it my obligation to inform everyone on my findings for a cheap alternative that works for a car that will be a daily driver.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.